Monday 22 June 2015

Corporate Style: Pencil Skirts Layered Up for Winter with Tights,Trench Coats and Rebecca Minkoff MAB Tote

Despite recently sharing that I was trying to resist wearing tights to work as much as possible, it's just gotten too cold in the mornings. Even in Brisbane. So I've got my fleece lined tights out now. It means I can continue to wear all of my pencil skirts for work while still keeping cosy. The only problem is that I've had these tights so long I can't remember where I bought them. Anyone have good recommendations for replacements?

What I wore:

colourful winter layered office wear bright scarf sleeveless shirt jacquard pencil skirt

Rebecca Minkoff navy blue 'moon' medium MAB tote bag with silver hardware
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs scarf in Island pine-print
CardiganJeanswest grey knit cardigan
ShirtJeanswest Helene sleeveless textured shirt in berry (on sale, extra 30% off!)
SkirtWarehouse navy jacquard pencil skirt
ShoesWittner 'Bloomy' black heels
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale, 40% off!)

Why I wore it:

After finishing the Fox In Flats style challenge, I was looking forward to wearing this outfit I'd had in my head for a while. I thought the plain pink shirt would look really nice with the printed blue pencil skirt. This scarf wasn't the first one I had in mind (I was going to wear my newest one, the Marc by Marc Jacobs stargazer scarf) but it was my second choice after I realised that morning whilst rushing around that I couldn't find the one I wanted! After panicking that it had fallen on the ground as I put baby T into his car seat I called and confirmed I had left it behind by accident at playgroup. Thankfully one of the ladies had kept it aside for me. Phew!

I was really happy with this outfit - the cardigan I layered under the trench kept me cosy in the office with the sleeveless shirt too. You can't really see it in the first picture but you can in the close-up with my bag.

As it's the second time I've worn this shirt, my purchase review:
I really like this shirt, but I haven't worn it as much as I expected to after buying it. It's one of those pieces I want to 'save' in my wardrobe. I know I'm not the only one who thinks something is too special for everyday wear and has to be 'saved' for a special occasion. I'm really trying to challenge that thinking and just wear and enjoy what I own! I'm pleased I bought this top, I just hope I don't always wait for an ideal outfit to wear it. It will probably get worn a lot more in spring/summer as I did have to layer it up a little for this cold winter day.


Last worn: trench, printed scarf, grey cardiganpink sleeveless shirt, jacquard pencil skirt, ankle strap heels, RM MAB tote.

Other ways to wear: printed scarf with a black dressgrey cardi with a printed dresssleeveless shirt with skinny jeans (and fewer layers!), jacquard pencil skirt with a purple tee, black heels with a monochrome outfit, navy MAB tote and print mixing outfit.







What I wore:

awayfromblue winter print mixing striped henley polka dot pencil skirt leopard scarf office wear

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy for the office
Jacket: Temt black trench coat 
Scarf: Cotton On animal print scarf in blue
TopJeanswest 'Melanie' Stripe henley in black/coconut
Skirt: Review 'Ziggy' polka dot pencil skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs two tone flats in blush and black
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale, 40% off!)

Why I wore it:

In contrast to the outfit above, I spent much less time thinking about this outfit - I quickly put it together the night before as I was feeling unsure about what to wear. This shirt I'd been eyeing off in my wardrobe for a while, waiting for a chance to wear it again and I figured a cold day was good! I have a few long sleeve tops in my wardrobe that only get worn in the cooler months - yet every time the cold weather rolls around I think I have 'nothing to wear' and go on a shopping spree for long sleeve pieces. I'm hoping to stop that this winter, I really have enough tops already!

It's also the first wearing of my black trench this winter. As I mentioned on instagram, I've had it for years, a $30 sale buy as I didn't want to spend too much buying a warm coat for a trip to Europe I didn't see myself wearing much in Brisbane. At the time I didn't have any long coats, preferring cropped styles and I thought I'd rarely wear it in future. Of course now I think it was one of my most practical purchases - worn 26 times in the 3 years I've had this blog and countless times before then.

I don't like how this looked in photos so much, but I liked the way it felt when I wore it - this shirt is so soft and comfortable and the print mixing with the leopard print scarf was nice. I did worry the top might be a little too casual in the office, but it was cold and this kept my arms warm.


Last worn: black trench, blue leopard print scarf, stripe toppolka dot pencil skirt, cap toe flats, RM MAB tote (above).

Other ways to wear: black trench with a printed dress, leopard print scarf with stripes againstripe henley a few days postpartumpencil skirt hiding a tiny first trimester baby bump in the office, cap toe flats with a maternity wrap dress, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote with printed pencil skirts.





Linking up with Let It Shine, Modest Monday, Styled Up, Shoe and Tell, Style To Inspire, Bless Her Heart, More Pieces of Me, Daily Express, On Trend Tuesdays here and here, Real Mom Style, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday, Style Sessions, Wardrobe Wednesday today.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

67 comments:

  1. Really lovely outfits Mica. I really like the second look--and isn't it funny how we think won't wear something and end up favouring it completely. The black trench is a great classic piece to have in your wardrobe. <3
    Sport Casual

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I have so many impulse buys I wear a lot, i wish I could figure out the reasoning so I only buy things I get lots of wear from, haha! :)

      Delete
  2. That first outfit is so fun and unique and sophisticated. I love all the colors and patterns there, Once again two fantastic scarves and your black+tan Loafers and Navy Marc Jacobs Bag are gorgeous!

    Enjoy this week, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have usually gotten my fleece lines tights online from where ever i can get a good pattern, but my Target one has sustained the most wear till date. Glad you found your lost scarf, that can be scare esepcially if its one of your fav ones! Good photo or otherwise, I love the second outfit Mica, I think its the contrast of the stripes and the leopard print, that attracted me. Hope you have a fab week ahead!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my newest one so I'm sad not to be wearing it all the time, haha! But I know once playgroup is back on (on a break for the school holidays at the moment) I can pick it up.
      I will need to check out target! I had a quick look the other day as they had a sale on but there was nothing over 90 denier, these are 200 because of the fleece haha. I'll need to have a proper look! :)

      Delete
  4. Love the navy palette. It's very conversation and classy for work. Your bag is to die for. Enjoy the rest of your week, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You look so fabulous! I love how you put everything together! You look wonderful!
    xoxo,Victoria
    www.coffeeandablonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two fantastic work-ready outfits! Love both of your blouses here. The bright pink is such a fun color (and very flattering on you!) and the stripes are great, too!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally feel the "I have nothing to wear" issue during the warmer months. Maybe because I can bulk it up in the winter and not feel "big" because everyone looks like bush people. (; Summer I still want to layer but get caught in the hot days.

    I love your pencil skirt style. At the moment I do not have any in my wardrobe, but it's definitely something I may look into for the early fall. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pencil skirts for the office! :) Definitely worth looking into, you might enjoy them! :)
      I seem to have the 'nothing to wear' issue year round, I just have too many clothes haha.

      Delete
  8. Love the layering! I don't really think on layering my skirts in the winter (which I should start doing!) You look too cute :)

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Tash! I'm impressed by you scarf collection, dear! Love your dark looks! I'm saving some stylish clothes too! I'm happy to have a blog so they can get out of my ever "hungry" closet! LOL Guess it's typical for us ladies to hoard stuff, like high heels which are actually too high for us! Haha... Or is it just me..? :-DD

      xxx Ira
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
    2. haha no it's not just you Ira, I am guilty of hoarding things and never wearing them! :)
      With the right cosy tights, it's easy to wear skirts in winter :)

      Delete
  9. Haha, yea, I give in to tights pretty easily, but I always TRY to make it until Halloween before I wear them.
    I recently got some Wolford tights, which are AMAZING, although a little expensive. And I even have some from Target (don't think you have those though, haha)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to take a look at target! Maybe they didn't have all their tights out last time I looked. I need fleecy ones to keep cosy in winter, hehe.

      Delete
  10. I like this scarf. Nice outfit. xx

    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes the winter tights struggle, I know it well--I get so tired of wearing tights too, although I love the way they look! I love that jacquard skirt and the pretty pink top! I have a tendency to "save" items too--I'm not sure why I do that, but sometimes I'll wait for the "right" occasion to wear something and that occasion never really happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do exactly the same! I'm really trying to get over that and stop saving things for the 'right' occasion as it never happens! I think the style challenges help and give me a reason to wear things.

      Delete
  12. I could not recommend a brand for tights… I wear them once a year !
    I like the second look Mica, even though you put it together so quickly the scarf+top combo looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena! :) You are lucky to not need tights often!

      Delete
  13. I love the scarves you chose!

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What you said is so right, it doesn't matter much how it looks in photos, if you really liked the way you felt when you wore it:) However, the photographs turned out cute to my mind:)
    Both of the looks are so youthful and cosy, I do love the comfortability of them:)
    Have a nice day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra! :) How you feel in clothes is definitely more important than photos :)

      Delete
  15. What I like to wear instead of tight, are long over the knee socks. I hate it when tights start to slide down as the day goes by! Then you get into that awkward situation when you feel like you need to pull them up but couldn't in public lol (ok too much information!). So I started wearing over the knee socks! I have gathered quite a few and I wear them a lot before it gets miserably cold here! Give those a go perhaps? Hope baby is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oh I got rid of all my tights with that creeping downwards problem! I can't keep socks up, haha! Such opposites! :)

      Delete
  16. That was really nice of the lady from the play group to retrieve your scarf and put it in a safe place. Scarves are expensive! LOVE these! They look great with your outfits Mica. I haven't purchased tights in a really long time. Someone suggested years ago, that I buy tights from a dance company (Danskin) and girl they LAST! The only thing is they only have basic colors like black, navy etc. You won't buy tights for another 20 years! LOL
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need to look up Danskin Kim, thank you! I only have basic colours anyway :)

      And yes I'm so glad she found my scarf and set it aside for me - or it would have been a very expensive thing to misplace! (It was my Marc by Marc Jacobs one!)

      Delete
  17. Great looks, you always style your bags so well.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know I clicked on the link to that gorgeous tote, and sadly it is sold out! I shall just admire it on you! And I need another tote like I need a hole in my head anyway!
    Carylee | more pieces of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I know that feeling! Saved by it being sold out! It was on crazy good sale :)

      Delete
  19. I like both looks on you Mica. You are lucky that someone found the scarf to keep it aside for you! And I used to be like that too. Not wear things because they were too nice, too special, too shiny. Saving them. Until I realized that often they didn't conserve. Simply hanging there and aging, turned them into not so good things. So essentially by not wearing them, I wasted the investment.

    Have a great week!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way to look at it Alex! I am trying to wear more of what I own and leave less things sitting unloved in my wardrobe, but it's a process!

      Delete
  20. thank you for joining our first link up!! i LOVE that bag on you!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your layered look! you rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the mix match style you have there! it is still cold sometimes I know!
    love your skirt!
    Irene
    www.thedailylace.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That tote is gorgeous. What a sophisticated work piece you'll have for years!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so strange to see you in winter clothes. I always love tights and scarves, Glad you decided to go ahead and wear your special item!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like the neutral colors in the second outfit! That scarf looks so good with stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love both layered looks my dear! You look so cute and warm in both looks! I haven't worn tights in a long time (probably because it's too hot over here in Southern California to ever really warrant them haha), but I used to just get mine from Target!

    be the plebeian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to check out target in more detail!

      Delete
  28. Oh my, I love that trench court! Looks so beautiful. I like how the first look was more of a mix of colours and the second more of grey-white-black.

    Also loved that tote.

    Sonshu
    www.thesonshu.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Count me in as a fan of that paisley skirt!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the layering of the scarfs and love your bag

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great outfit as usual. Love the scarf!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I wore tights on the first day of summer...thick tights...and this morning I also wore tights but I had taken them off in the afternoon. I'm thinking of putting them back on for the evening. We had a few quite chilly, windy and rainy days, very uncommon for this time of year but that proves that you never know!

    I do think your first outfit looks great with tights...those neutral tights matched that wonderful patterned skirt perfectly!!! and the heels are so cute,...the pink blouse is definitely a keeper, it's such a lovely pop of colour...and as you can imagine, I'm totally digging that scarf.

    That blue navy bag is pure elegance and it looks amazing in both outfits. I really like the mix of prints in the second outfit..the colours as neutral so the mix of leo and stripes is not that 'loud' , the outfit is still classy and work appropriate but there is just enough pattern to spice things up.

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather can be very unpredictable sometimes! Glad you were able to layer up and down as needed :)

      I do like print mixing with stripes, they seem to play nicely with anything! :) Pleased you liked it too.

      Delete
  33. I love love wearing tights when it gets colder! I always get apprehensive at first about wearing them but then I get into it a bit more. I love both of these outfits and that leopard scarf is such a great accessory!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they keep me cosy, but I do prefer not wearing them, too used to our warm weather I think! Find it hard to adjust to the couple of cold months we have, haha!

      Delete
  34. I really like the first outfit! It looks really stylish and looks lovely on you. The heels look so cute, I love that style :)

    Sarah | sarahanne14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cute looks! I love your scarves! AND that trench in the first look is fab!

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Two lovely cool weather stylings! I am a tights wearer as it gets so very cold in the wintertime here. I get mine at a variety of places including Nordstrom, Calvin Klein and Steve Madden. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nordstrom have a sale on at the moment - I should check them out! Shipping to Australia might sting a bit though...

      Delete
  37. Love both scarves especailly the grey leopard. Lets me just say as a blanket statement, as each week I end up saying, I love your bag. From here on out, great bag collection!! hehe


    Thanks for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesday!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! I do like my handbags :)

      Delete
  38. Love the tote! And the pop of animal print with the scarf!
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Gorgeous! I love the colour of your bag, never seen a MAB like that before :)
    Have a great day gem!
    MUCH LOVE KAREN
    (STYLESMORGASBORD) [BLOGLOVIN])

    ReplyDelete
  40. great print mixing with the scarves and i love that Minkoff bag!

    cute & little

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you all for your kind comments - and suggestions for tights! I will have to check out Target again!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kushyfoot has wonderfully thick fleece-lined tights. I wore mine on their own and under colored tights for added warmth in the winter. I'm not quite sure what you see in those pictures but your black trench coat looks absolutely gorgeous on you! So classy while being perfect for work. Great outfits this week Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I will need to look into it and see if we can get that brand here in Australia! :)

      Delete
  43. I think sometimes if you are looking for a specific piece for your wardrobe, then you will put a lot of effort into it and find something that ticks all your boxes. It might be exactly what you want, and exactly what you need, but it is more like work than fun.

    When you find an impulse buy, it's about the fun and frivolity of the purchase and as much as we love those classic pieces that make up the foundation of our wardrobes, they're a little bit dull. Not as much fun as the showpony pieces we want but don't need at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read such a great explanation of that phenomenon before Kimba! :D And as someone with a wardrobe full of hard to wear show-pony pieces I agree, haha.

      Delete
  44. I can't stay away from the tights! it is just getting too cold! I usually just get those ones from the Priceline pharmacy (can't remember what brand they are) but they're cheap and do the job. you remind me that I need to start wearing scarves again when I go to work! I try to avoid them because of my short neck LOL but once again it's just getting to that point where it's way too cold. loving that Rebecca Minkoff bag too! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is much to cold to show some skin now, haha! I'll check out priceline, thank you!

      Delete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...