Monday 20 June 2016

Striped Maxi Skirts in Winter with Grey Cardigans

Maxi skirts are an all-season wardrobe must have for me. It's not just that the stretchy waistbands and comfortable fabrics are nice on a post-baby belly, they are also a great length for running around after a toddler. Brisbane doesn't get any snow over winter so with enough layers I happily wear them in winter too.

What I wore: 

Petite winter maxi skirt outfit long loose layers skull scarf and stripes | Away From The Blue

Rebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Paper Scissors grey wrap cardigan
ScarfAlexander McQueen Azure wool skull scarf (new purchase)
TeeFrench Connection oversized khaki green tee
Skirt: Target black and white striped maxi skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in grey)
BagRebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

It was a busy day - we had playgroup in the morning and my 6 week post-birth checkup in the afternoon. I dressed in layers as I knew it would be cold at the playground but warmer in the afternoon. With the waterfall drape of the cardigan and the long line of the scarf I did worry my petite frame would be overwhelmed a little, but it was so comfortable when I tried it on. I was really happy in this - and the layers worked out perfectly as it did heat up a lot during the day.

It's been a long time since I last wore this khaki tee - I hunted it out again after really liking the khaki tank I bought last month, wanted to see if this was still a keeper in my wardrobe. While I don't like it as much as the tank, it's a great basic so it's staying for now.


Last worn: grey cardigan, khaki tee, striped maxi skirt, black ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff neon mini MAC. First time I've worn the scarf as it is a recent purchase.

Other ways to weargrey cardigan and red jeans, khaki tee in summer with jeans, striped maxi skirt and a graphic tee, black ballet flats and a pencil skirt, Rebecca Minkoff neon mini MAC and a floral kimono.



Striped Maxi Skirts Under $50:








What I wore:

Winter Maxi Skirt Outfit: grey cardi, stars and stripes | Away From Blue

Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather | AwayFromTheBlue
JacketJeanswest Alice longline Australian wool cardigan
Shirt: Zara star print shirt
SkirtAsos colour block maxi skirt in red
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs black logo plaque ballet flats
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather

Why I wore it:

Unlike the outfit above, I really wasn't impressed when I wore this, although it seemed like a good idea when I planned it out. We had an appointment to get to in the morning though so I didn't have any time to change. I hated this outfit more and more as the day went on. It seemed like a fun idea, stars and stripes, but I was so happy to change out of this at the end of the day. Definitely an outfit fail for me. All the pieces on their own are lovely, but together I wasn't enjoying them.



Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, grey wool cardigan, star print shirt, colour block maxi skirt, Marc Jacobs ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC.

Other ways to weargrey wool cardigan and flares, star print shirt in the office, colour block maxi skirt for a dinner date, Marc Jacobs ballet flats and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC and denim shorts.









Linking up with Hello Monday, Modest Monday, Mix It Monday, Classy Monday Colour and Grace, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday, Style Sessions, Wardrobe Wednesday.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

71 comments:

  1. Love this long maxi skirt on you! And congrats on the baby!

    xoxo, Christina

    Stray Birds and Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got me wanting to get some fabulous maxi skirts like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great purchase, I do wear mine a lot!

      Delete
  3. I am not a big fan of the second outfit either, but I am very jealous that this is the kind of outfit you can wear in winter.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we only get a few super cold days at the start of winter, it's supposed to really cool down this weekend :)

      Delete
  4. Love maxi skirts, I wish I could wear this in the winter here. Your scarf is lovely too. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when you have snow to contend with!

      Delete
  5. I like your purse so much <3
    http://dominicafrigeri.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both looks, honestly! I love a good mix of patterns and statement bags. Such a bad feeling when you leave the house regretting an outfit, though. Makes you want to re-start the entire day!!

    Mary
    www.marymurnane.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, never puts me in a good mood if I don't like what I'm wearing!

      Delete
  7. I have a black & white maxi similar to yours above Mica. It's so pretty. HaHaHa Sometimes I put together outfits and then ask myself Kim what were you thinking! Everyone has those moments.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yep we definitely do! Sometimes when we look back on them, sometimes when we wear them! :)

      Delete
  8. The such a cute maxi skirt, love the scarf too.
    Xo, Christianne
    Http://simplychristianne.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the first outfit--the pink bag and blue scarf are the perfect pops of color! I usually plan my outfits ahead of time but I don't try them on until the day I wear them, so sometimes that happens to me where it looks better in my head than actually ON. Oh well, live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a learning experience! :) I miss the days I had time to try things on the night before and look in the mirror, haha!

      Delete
  10. I really need a maxi skirt in this weather of Bangkok, TH! However, I also love that bright pink bag too! It looks so cute!

    www.thequinoxfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait... is it turning to winter in Australia? So interesting!! It's the first day of summer here in the States.

    Loving both maxi skirts... particularly adoring the blue scarf in the first look. Pairs nicely with the stripes, plus it's a great shade of blue!!



    Amber
    All the Cute 🎀
    Today's Post: Floral Swing Tank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, first of June is the first day of winter here.

      Delete
  12. Like you I am not too sold on the stars and stripes look. It happens. We think it will look good together, even place the garments next to each other on the bed and they work. Then you put them on and the magic ends. Don't worry you can always give ti another try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really!? I LOVE the second one, too! I'm rather surprised because I feel like the pieces work together so perfectly, it's one I'd personally wear. Thanks for sharing, beauty, and I hope you have a great week ahead!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I just really wasn't enjoying the combination.

      Delete
  14. Omgosh you are a Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC fiend and I love it!! Great read, girl!

    Xox Dana Ivy // www.iadorewhatilove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current favourite bag, I have far too many of them, haha!

      Delete
  15. loving the scarf in the first look!

    cute & little
    kileen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the added pop of color with your gorgeous bags!

    xx Jesica
    www.classicingray.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the first look. THat bag makes it!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like first outfit, and the second skirt looks very cute on you, even though you didn't enjoy wearing it. Hope you are having great start of the week.
    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a nice skirt, I just don't like it with that shirt.

      Delete
  19. I definitely prefer the 1st outfit, that maxi-skirt with stripes is really pretty and it looks so comfy!

    Beaumiroir

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the mix of colors in both outfits! And I've been obsessed with that bag for what feels like forever! Whenever I see it in a store, I'm completely drawn to it.

    Via Sora || instagram · twitter · pinterest · bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha sometimes I have an idea in my head how an outfit looks on me and when I wear it...I'm like NOO WHY! But it's all about confidence while wearing it out! I love the aquamarine colour of the minkoff bag!

    Whitney
    Macarons and Mischief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! It's okay, I could change as soon as I got back home again!

      Delete
  22. I'm starting to see that maxi skirts are very signature you! Love both outfits!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this look! The scarf and sweater combo is so cute!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you look great in both looks, but I totally understand when you just aren't feeling a certain combination.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look great in maxi skirts! Looks so comfy too! =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  26. You rock maxi skirts, lady! I love that last one so much! I loved hearing you talk candidly about an outfit you didn't like--I've been there before with my outfits and I always appreciate when bloggers say stuff like this! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.prefertobedemure.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have those days! :) And if I managed to get a pic of an outfit, I'll share it! :) Not everything has to be perfect.

      Delete
  27. I love maxi skirts, too! I also have a black/white striped one that I love. And the one with the different red tones is so pretty! I think it works with the top, but I know the feeling of not loving an outfit that looked so great in your head...Super cute purses!

    Andrea
    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look great in your striped skirt, love it in your latest post! :)

      Delete
  28. Layers are key for weather like this. Your cardigans are great. I like your polka dot and stripe combo in the second look.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such pretty looks! I love maxi skirts too! how have you been? How are the little ones?
    xx
    www.junewantsitall.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your both outfits! Great style

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE that hot pink RM bag, lady! Such a great score!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mica, both of these outfits are so gorgeous! You look so put together! The pink looks SO GOOD with the blue scarf!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love both these outfits and I really love the last one, despite your misgivings! I think all the pieces work really well together and I love the colours of the skirt!
    Julia xx
    http://www.thevelvetrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the pieces separately, just not together.

      Delete
  34. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I love maxi dress and skirts but the problem I have with them is the length. They are always too long for me and I need to wear wedges with them. :-( I'm 5ft4.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only 5"2 :) The top maxi skirt I didn't need to hem, although the second one from Asos I did. It was REALLY long!

      Delete
  35. Well I think it looks great! It is nice to take risks and see what works and what doesn't :) You always have such cute purses <3

    stacey + thebambieyes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) it's good to try new things now and then even if they aren't perfect!

      Delete
  36. I think the waterfall cardigan and scarf work great together! They drape so nicely :) Love how you added pops of color with your bags in both looks!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look gorgeous and SO stylish in these layered outfits. I love how you used the accessories in order ot accentuate the color in your first outfit. I had also gone through outfit fails in the past so I totally get you, however your second outfit looks good! Really!! 3
    xx

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's very nice that you can wear this in the winter. My favourite here is the first outfit. I love layering in the winter. <3
    Resort Shopping

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have been searching for a cute maxi skirt this summer and haven't found one that suits me - yours are SO cute! And I adore the pop of color with the RM bag. I'm all about pink this season:)

    Laura
    www.blackcoffeebeautiful.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find a great maxi skirt soon! :)

      Delete
  40. I prefer the first outfit too! Stripes are always a winner however and combined in a maxi - LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  41. There is nothing worse than feeling wrong in an outfit. I have been known to get into town for work and hit up the shops for an emergency new outfit! I justify it by the knowledge I will be uncomfortable and out-of-sorts all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the emergency dash twice - once when I forgot we had bigwigs coming and had to smarten up my outfit, and another time when my dress split! It's not ideal as it's all the expensive stores near the office, haha!

      Delete
  42. love those maxis on you...so pretty and feminine!!!!

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.hr/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thank you all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just started wearing more maxi dresses and love the ease. I love the mix of colors here, and of course your bags.
    Thanks for linking up with turning heads tuesday!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love both of your maxi skirts! It motivates me to get more maxi skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Maxiskirts are my go-to in Winter as well!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...