Monday 1 August 2016

Trench Coats, Jeans and Clothes With History | #noBuyJuly16 Results

First up, no budget wrap up for this month as I achieved #noBuyJuly16! Not a single cent spent on clothes or accessories. Much better than last year's attempt. I credit this to having a sick toddler keeping me home a lot of the month and having less time on the computer or to browse in stores. I have a few things I'd like to buy in August but I'm in no rush unless they are in a great sale.


I realised I hadn't worn my trench coats this winter as I've been favouring my cardigans or leather jackets, so made an effort to wear them. Both of these coats have been in my wardrobe for a while and have some great memories attached. Having emotions or memories tied to clothes is part of the reason why wardrobe clearouts are so difficult for me! When I had the help of a professional stylist to do a wardrobe detox, I had a story for every piece we let go of.

What I wore:

Trench coat, skinny jeans, boots, ombre knit LV speedy stroller | Away From Blue

Trench coat and Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere damier ebene 30 | Away From The Blue
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
JumperJeanswest 'Serena' ombre knit
JeansJeanswest Super Skinny Jeans in Mid Indigo
Shoes: Asos Cleo leather boots in tan
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere

Why I wore it:

Nice and simple outfit for a couple of errands and then time with my mum in the afternoon. This has to be my favourite trench coat. I wish I could remember when I bought it. It's definitely pre-blog, so more than 4 years old. I bought it near the end of winter on massive sale one year, knowing I'd wear it a lot on an upcoming trip to Melbourne. I've definitely got my money's worth, as it was under $50 and I've worn it in 37 posts, a lot of them where it's worn twice for both outfits.

The ombre knit hasn't been worn for a little while either, only because it was boxed away with all my other winter things and I just recently uncovered that box. My sister has the same jumper, and that makes me smile when I wear it. Luckily we haven't both worn it on the same day!



Last worn: camel trench, ombre knit, skinny jeans, leather boots, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere.

Other ways to weartrench coat and plaid, ombre knit and printed scarf, skinny jeans and a blazer, leather boots and a printed dress, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere and a maxi skirt.


Shop more trench coats under $100:







What I wore:

Grey jeans black trench red cardi and tank converse winter layering OOTD | AWayFromBlue

Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Temt black trench coat 
Cardigan: Jeanswest long red drape cardigan
Tank: Emerson crochet lace bib print top
Jeans: Sass and Bide pale grey skinny jeans
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in white (on sale in red!)
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere

Why I wore it:

Simple layered outfit for a morning down the coast with the boys and lunch with my mum. I picked a cardigan instead of a scarf as an extra layer over the tank as the print can be tricky to wear with a printed scarf. I've worn the cardigan and tank together before, I really like the combination.

Unlike the trench in the first outfit, I remember exactly when I bought this, it was 8 years ago before a trip to Europe. It kept me really cosy the whole time, and wearing it always makes me think of my trip. It was fun wearing it with these jeans too, as they were one of the pairs I took on the trip with me! They are even older than the coat though, at least 10 years old.



Last worn: black trench, red cardigan, printed tank, grey jeans, Converse, Louis Vuitton speedy bag (above).

Other ways to wearblack trench and a printed dress, red cardigan and a striped tank, printed tank and striped maxi skirtgrey jeans and heels, Converse and a shift dress, Louis Vuitton speedy bag and a pencil skirt.


Linking up with Hello Monday, Budgeting Bloggers, Grace & Lace, Style Sessions, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday, Wardrobe Wednesday, Midweek Inspo.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

51 comments:

  1. LOVE the trench / brown boots combo! I am still on the hunt for decent long brown boots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and congrats big time on a successful No Buy July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is absolutely fab! I can see it matching so many different outfits!


    xoxo Rina
    www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you style the trench coat with the ombre knit. it looks simple yet classy :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that first outfit makes me SO excited for cooler weather! And good job with your no spend accomplishment, regardless of what helped contribute to it. That's still a great feat!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased I did it - July has so many sales to avoid!

      Delete
  6. Love the shades of brown in the first outfit...kinda got me longing to wear jeans and boots again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on acing #noBuyJuly16! That's very impressive. I love wearing trench coats during the transitional seasons. It's nice you've had both of these for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good trench coat is a definite wardrobe essential!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a successful No Buy July!! I definitely failed at my last "no buy" attempt... I don't even remember when it was, haha! As sad as it is, life getting in the way of shopping (like having a sick toddler or, in my case, having to fit a car payment into my budget) really works wonders to limit spending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes it shows that when we need to, we can definitely prioritise other things over shopping :)

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I'm pretty sentimental about my clothes as well! I'm actually trying to slowly detox my closet (and my makeup stash but that's something else entirely) but I tend to second guess whether I REALLY want to get rid of it... the struggle!

    Sam | My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know exactly what you mean, it's so tough!

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful, you look gorgeous. I love the bag.

    www.tessyonyia.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful looks! The first outfit is my favourite! I love the whole look especially the trench coat and jumper!

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go on your No Buy July, that is awesome! I love that trench coat--that's such a classic piece that clearly stands the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was so difficult to get rid of the old clothes. I was pushed to do it, as we were moving to other side of the planet. But I am so happy now, that I did it. It was very refreshing. I like your brown trench coat. It is so versatile piece.

    Anna
    www.glamadventure.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we finally get a perfect house I'll probably be encouraged to throw out a lot more in the move! :)

      Delete
  15. Very comfy outfit!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to keep my clothes for a long time, however I found that the pieces that aged well are always the one that cost me more and with quality fabric (leather, silk, cashmere, wool,...). I have a nice trench coat that I bought in Uniqlo (collaboration with Jill Sander) like 6+ years ago and each time I wear it's like the first time! I just love it.
    Unfortunately I don't feel this way about all my clothes ahahah
    I'm trying to be more conscious about what I buy, this help a lot in building a wardrobe that resists time and trends.
    Lovely look btw!
    xx

    Aurelie | http://www.surface85.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the classic, well-made pieces last the longest!

      Delete
  17. These are really lovely outfits. they look so classy! That coat was definitely a good buy for you! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats on nobuy July! love both of these outfits. My fav thing about the first outfit is the combo of those skinny jeans and boots! lovely sweater and trench.

    The pop of red is perfect in the other outfit...lovely layering and styling.

    That bag is simply wonderful and it looks amazing in both outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the color & style of that trench. I see why you've held onto it for so long, because it's hard to find one like it.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Especially being petite I worry long coats swamp me sometimes.

      Delete
  20. Well done to you! It is hard to resist when there are sales everywhere, I wish I'd be able to do #nobuy as well :) Love the style and colour of that trench coat, it is pretty!

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could succeed if you gave it a go! :)

      Delete
  21. Gofo for you making no purchases in July!! :) Nice Louis bag!

    Erica
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice way to save!! Love both trenches and the neutral outfits!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the way that ombre sweater ties your outfit together. Congratulations on not spending anything in July (I hope your munchkin feels better soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a tough few months with a new daycare and winter he's picked up so many illnesses :(

      Delete
  24. The trench is my favourite, and love the whole entire first look. I've a sentimental pieces of clothing that I have held on to, but recently did a good purge of items that I am simply not wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are two wonderfully classic trench coats! I have been wanting a khaki colored one but none of them seem just right. Yours looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can be hard to find, I definitely got lucky :)

      Delete
  26. A sick toddler is a great way to keep you from achieving anything.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! You drop everything for a sick baby!

      Delete
  27. Congrats on the no buy! I also came through having purchased no clothes or accessories. Hooray! I really like that ombre jumper - my sisters and I often dress alike without realising. It doesn't help that we do hand-me-downs and hand-me-ups quite often. Sometimes an item of clothing will do the rounds quite significantly before finally being charity shopped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, congrats on achieving it too! :) Having sisters and sharing clothes is the best :)

      Delete
  28. SO proud of you Mica for completing NoBuyJuly!
    It's such a difficult task specially these months where it seems everyone is on sale.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes July is one of the hardest months to achieve it in I think!

      Delete
  29. Congrats no no buy in July! I love that brown trench. So classic! Hope your little one is feeling better!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your boots! Your trench coat is amazing! Great looks!

    Thanks for linking up at Grace + Lace!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on your successful No Buy July.

    I'm currently decluttering my wardrobe and have completed the easier half. The rest of my clothes are all the ones with sentimental attachments. I need to mentally be in the right frame of mind to finish this job off.

    The sales are all so tempting currently. I've spent quite a bit at Priceline's sale that I included in my latest blog post. Blogging about sales is not good for my own wallet! Lol! Although I do rationalise it by looking at the huge savings I made and I do need the products I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes the sales in July are just so tempting! Well done on all your decluttering so far!

      Delete
  32. I love a good trench coat. Great outfits. xo ~ Megan The Fashionista Momma

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well done on No Buy July. I cannot say I did the same, even with a trip o/s! x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you all for your kind comments and congratulations on the No Buy July achievement! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...