Monday 2 October 2017

30 Ways to Wear a Classic Denim Jacket: #30Wears Series

First up, #noSpenderSeptember was achieved - nothing spent on fashion purchases last month! I did attempt a shopping trip but a minor accident derailed my plans. So no new purchases to report.



10 months into my #30wears challenge, and I've still worn very few items of clothing 30 times. I was sure by now I'd have a few dresses, maybe some tops that I'd hit 30 wears on, especially after not shopping for 7 months, but it's been mostly accessories like bags and shoes.

If you look at the maths behind 30 wears (this post has an amazing breakdown of it) I'd have to wear something every other week for 14 months to hit 30 wears on it. And I don't wear things that often, unless we are talking accessories. I'm still keeping up with my challenge, but I think I'm going to have to start wearing some favourites more frequently to hit 30 wears. Pieces I think I've worn a lot seem to only be around 12-15 wears. It's definitely an eye-opening challenge for me, making me realise just how much I have in my wardrobe already and how little I've worn even my favourite pieces.


A denim jacket is a classic piece most people have in their wardrobe so it's no surprise I've hit more than 30 wears with it! As it's spring I thought now was a good time to feature 30 ways to wear a denim jacket.





#30Wears: Classic Blue Denim Jacket


This jacket is one of the old pieces in my wardrobe. I remember where I bought it and who I was with (my sister) but not when exactly I bought it. Something I've easily worn more than 30 times as I've had it at least 10 years, and I've only been blogging for almost 6 years.



Denim Jacket in a Double Denim Outfit


double denim with denim jacket and colourful skinny jeans converse | Away From Blue

denim jacket and black jeans and shorts: double denim SAHM style | Away From The Blue

I find double denim tricky to wear. When I was younger I wore similar denim jackets and jeans together for a double denim look without thinking twice about it! Now though, I find it a little harder to pull off. Probably after that famous double denim moment. I even had a denim bag! Not as embellished as Britneys, but it was my favourite bag for a while.

The standard advice for an easy double denim look now is to wear different shades or washes together. I take that a step further and like to wear my denim jacket with completely different coloured jeans. I love my blue denim jacket with my red or purple skinny jeans. Black is another good colour too, for an easy double denim look without looking like you tried too hard.



Denim Jacket and Dresses


Printed dresses in spring with denim jacket 5 ways to wear | AwayFromTheBlue

This is a go-to spring and autumn outfit for me. For those days where it's just a little cooler and you need an extra layer so you're warmer in the cold mornings or evenings, a denim jacket is perfect. It's nice having a plain layer like this to wear with printed dresses too - you don't have to worry about clashing prints or colours, as blue denim goes with everything!



Denim Jacket and Maxi Dresses


denim jacket and colourful maxi dresses autumn and spring layers  ways to wear | away from blue

printed maxi dresses and denim jacket 4 ways to wear spring SAHM outfit ideas | AwayFromBlue

I felt this was worth calling out separately from the other dresses above. A denim jacket works with maxi dresses for many different reasons:

  • a sleeveless summer maxi dress you want to add a warmer layer to to get more wear over spring and autumn,
  • a spaghetti strap maxi dresses you want to cover up in a formal setting like church, a denim jacket is perfect.
  • to make a more formal maxi dress look more casual.

When I need to make a maxi dress work for a cooler day, a denim jacket is my first go-to, and I can even add a scarf if it's really chilly. I like maxi dresses and leather jackets together, but a denim jacket is my favourite way to layer with a maxi dress.



Denim Jacket and Maxi Skirts


Denim jackets and striped maxi skirts easy spring outfits | Away From The Blue

4 ways to wear maxi skirt and denim jacket outfit ideas | AwayFromBlue blog

Just like above with the maxi dresses, I find a denim jacket works really nicely with maxi skirts. It's a good way to make your maxi skirts work for cooler weather, when you just need a little extra layer on a cool spring or autumn day. Although maxi skirts are perfect in warmer months and ideal for summer, you can easily layer them up a little to work for the rest of the year.



Denim Jacket in Pregnancy


denim jacket with a baby bump: easy pregnancy style | Away From The Blue Blog

As I usually wear my denim jacket unbuttoned, it still worked perfectly in pregnancy. Having it unbuttoned left plenty of room for a growing baby bump, and it was just the right layer for a pregnancy over autumn. It was nice to have some non-maternity pieces to wear during pregnancy to help me feel more like myself, and a denim jacket unbuttoned is a piece that works in all three trimesters. You can get more pregnancy outfit tips in my book, Stylish pregnancy on a Budget.



Denim Jackets Under $50:





Want more outfit ideas? Check out the 40+ ways to wear a denim jacket in the blog archives.


Linking up with Confident Twosday, On Trend, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, Wardrobe Wednesday, Fashion Frenzy, Style on The Daily, Oh Hey Girl.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

52 comments:

  1. Love the looks! The denim jacket is really such a versatile piece isn't it?

    Sheena - www.sheenalovessunsets.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible how many ways you can wear a denim jacket! I have 2 in light colour and one dark and I wear them a lot in fall. My fave combo is maxi floral dress+denim jacket, so cute! Happy Monday Mica xx

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a denim dress that was pretty tight even before I had kids and with the change in body type (hips and boobs) that never really go back to the way they were before, I just can´t wear it as dress no more. So I wear it as a denim cardigan type thing and get a ton of use out of it. So much that my regular denim jacket recently got retired.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a great way to reuse your dress! :) And yup, I've had a few clothes had to leave my wardrobe due to the extra post-baby curves!

      Delete
  4. Dear Mica, I see you definitely wore your denim jacket a lot! And I'm surprised how versatile a denim jacket definitely is. I own also a few denim jackets but have to admit I wear them rarely - what is obviously a fail. You colourful and fantastic look definitely inspred me to wear my denim jackets more often. Thanks for that!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wear mine a lot in spring and autumn! Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  5. Yay for making it through the month spend-free! I don't know if I have it in me! 🙈 Love all these denim jacket ideas! I'm actually wearing mine right now!!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always give it a try, you might surprise yourself! :)

      Delete
  6. I love my denim jacket! Such a classic piece. I can see why it would be one of the items you have been able to post with 40 wears. Love the inspiration!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! I really love denim jackets especially with dresses it just makes such a nice combination! Hope you are having a nice start to your week and enjoying your holiday weekend :) Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great looks with it!
    And yea, I know most of my favorite pieces haven't been worn that often, it's so funny thinking we wear things a lot when in reality we don't.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fascinating to see! I learn so much from my daily outfit blogging!

      Delete
  9. Wow, I never really thought about just how long it would take to wear something 30 times! That is kind of crazy, but I suppose it does serve as a good reminder to think before making a purchase.
    http://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like denim jackets with dresses. You look super pretty in these outfits. Enjoy your day. xx

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what great outfits centered around a denim jacket! It really is a versatile piece, but I must admit, for some reason, I just don't wear mine as much as I feel I should or as proven with this post, as much I certainly could! Thanks for the inspiration and I hope you're enjoying your holiday weekend!

    XO,
    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is insane I never ever thought there will be 30 ways to wear a piece of clothing! I would like to try this as well, my overflowing closet will thank me too haha! Though I gotta admit you did a superb job in terms of styling! And you looked pretty in every outfit :)
    xx
    Ankita
    http://realgirltalks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denim jackets and maxis are just made for each other! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently got a denim jacket this past summer, and I've been wearing it as often as I can! It's so easy to throw on any outfit. I'm usually wearing denim jeans, so I'm often wearing denim on denim. -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to try denim on denim more often!

      Delete
  15. You can never go wrong with a good denim jean jacket, as you've proven here, Mica! I have a very similarly-cut one, and I've had it for 11 years. That's an investment piece!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I loved how you paired a denim jacket with so many different pieces! I used to love denim jackets when I was younger, but I haven't worn them since because I'm always wearing jeans and I didn't quite know how to pull off the denim on denim look. Love the denim + dress combo though, makes me want to add a denim jacket back in my wardrobe again!

    Jenny | Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, it's Jen from A Fireman's Wife. I just wanted to get back to you about your comment on the Mermaid Spray you left me earlier. I use Young Living Oils in the spray and I make it up in a 2 oz bottle. They are an International company so you would totally be able to order from them if you want! Let me know if you are interested in the sign up link and I would be happy to send it to you. :) afiremanswifeblog@gmail.com
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. You seriously can never go wrong with a classic denim jacket!!

    Enclothed Cognition

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok this has convinced me I probably need to buy myself a denim jacket. You're right, they're so versatile! I am still sulking over my lovely denim jacket (which had long enough sleeves!) that I lost somewhere, and haven't been able to bring myself to start the epic search for another just yet. But I'm thinking that as I'll probably wear the sleeves rolled up anyway, long enough is less of an issue. Where is yours from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is from city beach I'm sure, a long time ago!

      Delete
  20. You know I'm a huge denim jacket fan, so I love all these looks. I'll have to recreate some of these too--thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you wear the denim jacket! Looks so stylish!


    www.ismurfshion.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a countless number of denim jackets because they really work with EVERYTHING!! xx
    www.bonjourchiara.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mica,

    I love to wear denim jacket and you just showed that it is a super versatile piece!
    Have a great week.
    XO
    Miri

    http://currentlywearing.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now THAT is love! When I find a piece I truly love I wear it every day, too. I should dust off my denim jacket and wear it more often!
    --Roxanne
    http://glassofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. A denim jacket is definitely 30 wear worth. I like the versatility with all kinds of dresses. Thank you for the inspiration! Funny enough but i no longer have a denim jacket in Singapore but am sure I'll get one again in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wear my denim jacket almost constantly especially in the spring and summer! It goes so well over a dress especially for chilly places with AC! I need to remember to wear it more in the fall too. I like the double denim looks you wore!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always love wearing the denim jacket! But, I only have a few ways to wear it!


    http://www.thequinoxfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. You cannot go wrong with a great denim jacket- I love this!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post! I always knew a denim jacket was a versatile piece and you've proved it's even more versatile than I thought!
    Love all these looks, especially the denim jacket with the florals
    Julia x
    http://www.thevelvetrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love denim jackets! these are really wonderful ideas, dear! anyway, with regards to your comment on my blog:

    haha! thank you so much, mica! i sometimes want to be petite. i guess you just can't have what you want if it's really not for you. haha. but it would be cool though lol. to experience a different perspective :))

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Mica! I absolutely love your portraits! The denim jacket is definitely a wardrobe staple and very versatile. This post really inspired me to pull out my jacket for the autumn season. Beautiful portraits! I pray you have a wonderful rest of the week!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful looks dear, love the how versatile the denim jacket is!!!

    www.plogstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the maxi dress/jean jacket combo! I actually don't own a single jean jacket...I may have to look into changing that =)
    -D
    www.styledtour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Now that's what I call a hard working item of clothing! I love your gallery because it shows just how versatile that jacket is! I'm not quite the right shape these days but I used to love my denim jacket when I was younger. I love all these looks on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd look great in a denim jacket! Hope you can find one you love :)

      Delete
  35. I have to incorporate one into my wardrobe! It looks so good with so many things Mica.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. The 30 wear challenge sounds like a fantastic idea! That is a lot of wears though, especially after you broke it down on a month/year basis. That denim jacket is such a fantastic staple piece and one that can be easily worn 30 times! I like every single way that you've styled it.

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a good thing to commit to with each piece I buy, it's definitely a challenge though!

      Delete
  37. I love the way you've matched denim on denim! I would never have even known those colorful pants were jeans!

    Kim
    simplylovebirds.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well done! Seems like a very easy piece of clothing to wear again and again! I own a denim jacket, but it is a but unique and out there, think more pirate style lol.
    I'd love to also get one in a bit more of a classic style for everyday wear! Xx

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could still hit 30 wears on your pirate one!

      Delete
  39. The perfect denim jacket - great wash and cut, perfect length! No wonder you were able to get 30 wears out of it xx

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've actually been thinking it would be nice to update it, ha! I've had it so long.

      Delete
  40. Thanks all for your comments - glad I could give you some inspiration and reasons to rewear your denim jackets!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...