Wednesday 14 January 2015

Feminine Pleated Skirt and Ruffle Cami | Casual SAHM Outfit - Grey Tank, Denim Shorts, Printed Kimono

Two very different outfits today! One with a bit of thought put into it, and one with minimal thought, time or effort!



Here's what I wore to go out shopping:
SunniesRayban new Wayfarers
NecklaceDogeared silver wishbone necklace
TopJeanswest peach ruffle cami
Skirt: Garfunkle Australia pleated print skirt
Shoes: Wittner 'Bolla' black bow detail flats
BagRebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey


The style challenge for the day was 'let's feel feminine today', so I was thinking of wearing one of my cute little pleated skirts. I have a few pleated skirts similar to this and I don't wear them all very often, so it seemed like a good idea to try wear them and see if any should leave my wardrobe.

As it was a hot and humid day, I wanted to wear a lightweight cami too. I liked this peach one, but wasn't sure what skirt it would go with. The pastel colour and ruffles fit the feminine theme well! This skirt was the first one I pulled out to try and I liked how the peach and yellow went together, so decided to wear this out to go shopping in the morning with baby T.

The challenge prompt gave me the confidence to go out and wear something I wouldn't normally have done, so it was a good outfit that way. Although I wasn't sure after looking at the photos, I felt comfortable all day when I was wearing this, I think it came together really well. I've always worn this printed skirt with neutral and rather plain tops, was good to step out of my comfort zone a little. I've decided this skirt is definitely staying in my wardrobe despite only being worn 3 times in 3 years - hopefully I'll be more adventurous with wearing it in the future so it will get lots of wear-time!


Last worn: Rayban Wayfarers, peach ruffle cami, printed pleated skirt, black flats, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag.



Here's what I wore to spend the day at home with my mother in law:
Jacket: Just Jeans paisley print kimono jacket
NecklaceNibbly Bits Abacus necklace in pop
Singlet: Target grey marle tank top
ShortsJeanswest denim cuff shorts
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs


Baby T had a really grizzly day the day before, after we got home from the shops he wasn't too happy...he then had a bit of a disturbed night. So the next day, all I wanted to wear was comfortable clothes.

When I'd gotten dressed I'd just gone for a comfy tank and shorts, that was all I needed to walk baby and Cooper in the morning. No thought or planning needed! I'm so thankful I'm still on maternity leave so that I can adjust my plans for the day to match baby T's moods most of the time. I'd decided to just skip taking outfit photos for the day and have a lazy day. By lunch time I was feeling a little less frazzled though, and as the style challenge for the day was 'try a print' I realised I could dress up my lazy stay at home tank and shorts outfit by adding the printed kimono jacket. Something to add a little interest to the plain outfit for having a visitor over too.

This kimono is an old sale find that I've never really worn a lot, I'm making more of an effort to wear it to justify keeping it in my wardrobe. I love how it makes a plain outfit look a little more polished...and it came in so helpful on this day to make me look a little more put-together and maybe just a little less tired than I felt. It's staying in my wardrobe as it is an awesome statement piece. I've worn it 8 times now since I've been blogging, not a bad cost per-wear for a $5 sale bargain, but still something I need to continue to wear to justify holding onto it.


Last worn: paisley kimono, grey tank, denim shorts, Havaianas.

Shop similar:





Linking up with What I Wore, Wardrobe Wednesday, Whatcha Wearing Wednesday, Style Me Wednesday, Trendy Wednesday, Spotlight Weekly, Throwback Thursday, A Labour of Fashion today.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : Youtube

36 comments:

  1. This skirt is really pretty! I love it!

    Raindrops of Sapphire - Personal blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both looks are so adorable on you. Love the skirt.
    xoxo
    Christy

    http://www.am2pmchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kimono jacket you are wearing in the second outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that skirt! It's such a lovely pattern and that length is the length I love in skirts! I find most don't fall on me like that and come above the knee which I don't like as much.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple skirts like this - perfect length for the office! :) I stocked up on them when the length was trendy a while back haha.

      Delete
  5. I love the ruffles and the color of the skirt, is that a shih tzu i see? You know I have 2 of em, so cute!!
    from the link up,
    please stop by, jess xx
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Cooper is a little Shih Tzu! Maybe a Shih Tzu cross, we adopted him for a shelter so can't be 100% sure, but all we know is that he's wonderful! :)

      Delete
  6. You should def wear this skirt more often, it suits you so well!

    xo,
    Sylvia @ WorldTasting
    .. follow on Bloglovin' or Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that ruffled cami! The color is so pretty! Kimono's are so cool! I always love seeing the different designs.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the skirt, and love the kimono! Good call on justifying purchases too. I need to do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a handy little trick to stop my buying too much I find! Doesn't always stop me though, haha. I need to work on my spending habits!

      Delete
  9. I like the first look, when I first saw it, before reading what the purpose of the outfit was I immediately thought "its so girly".
    Regarding the kimono cardi I too have one I never wear. I really like it but like you am having a hard time justifying it… i think you can wear more of it. I will try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for something that can be such a statement piece, being such a loud print. Hopefully you manage to get a lot of wear out of yours too!

      Delete
  10. That skirt looks amazing on you! Sometimes it's hard to pair things with bright colors and loud patterns but definitely keep that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That skirt is so pretty, I like the unexpected color pairing .

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the peach cami with the yellow pattern - that's inspired! Totally cute on you. I know what you mean about those slightly-full skirts - I often struggle with what to wear with them.

    The kimono top is lovely - and you're right, it really does 'up' the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! I was thinking I should just wear it anyway and give it a go! Good to try and be more colourful, although I'm not as much of an expert at mixing colour as yourself :)

      Delete
  13. Oh yes yes yes to that first outfit! You nailed the feminine vibe to perfection. Love that peach cami and the cute, boldly printed skirt! :D

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to see this outfit when it's cold and rainy outside:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the first outfit :)
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute outfits, you look great in both! <3

    I have a new outfit post on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these color combinations on you! It really suits you!
    x Angela // bouncingbrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to say I would have never thought to pair peach and that mustard-ish shade together. But they work so well! You look adorable. I think you hit that style challenge perfectly and created a new color palette. (:
    www.accordingtokiki123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was worth giving it a go, it's good to have the challenge to try stretch my outfits a little!

      Delete
  19. Love this Shopping outfit! Such a nice colors! :)

    http://stylewithoutstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your style challenges! Dressing feminine is one of my favorite ways to dress. Skirts/Dresses are always my go to :) Love your skirt!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  21. That ruffle cami is so stinking cute! I love the color and fit! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooo lucky my sister didn't want it any more! I couldn't believe it! I didn't ask too many questions why, I just adopted it for my own wardrobe, hehe!

      Delete
  22. Nothing says femininity more than ruffles! And I actually like it paired with that skirt, I quite like the colour combinations. And the second outfit, that kimono, what a find! You definitely need to incorporate this more into daily life girly! It's very noooice!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What cute outfits! Love the frilly top with that skirt which I never thought would work! Great styling. The other is perfect for summer! xx
    x Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that you felt inspired to try something a little different, and I must say I love the pleated skirt on you - you should wear that style more often!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the first outfit very much, and the Rebecca Minkoff handbag. So cute! Hope you have a fabulous day! XO, Maria

    http://theclassifiedchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the skirt and the nonchalant photo bomber behind you, the dog is cute Thanks for linking up and I hope to see you Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...