Friday 20 March 2015

Corporate Style: Pencil Skirts and a Bit of Blue

Sharing more of my office wear. The return to work has been tricky, but baby T and I are handling it well I think. From an outfit perspective, I've been enjoying wearing my pencil skirts and 'dressing up' in corporate wear for a change.


Here's what I wore to work:
stripe shirt blue lace pencil skirt nude heels LV neverfull bag Office Style Brisbane Business Casual

Louis Vuitton MM damier azur neverfull Blue outfit JORD fieldcrest wood watch
NecklaceDogeared 3 Wishes stardust bead necklace layered with Chanel necklace
Shirt: Target mint stripe shirt
SkirtAsos blue textured lace pencil skirt
Shoes: Wittner 'Lumen' heel in patent leather
Bracelets: the usual plus JORD black Fieldcrest wood watch (C/O)
BagLouis Vuitton MM damier azur neverfull


A lot has changed since I was away on maternity leave, and the team I'm working with day to day has changed quite a bit. I'm still doing the same role as I was before, just working with different people. There was a big department meeting where everyone from all our locations got together and the newbies and myself had the chance to introduce ourselves to over 100 people. I've mentioned it before on the blog, but public speaking is one of my great fears. I've done a few things to try and get over it (like recording youtube videos to get used to speaking to an 'audience', and taking part in a presentation skills group), but I don't think I'll never get rid of those nerves entirely.

As I was incredibly nervous, I dressed in my comfort colour - blue! This blue lace pencil skirt has to be one of my favourites, it always gets compliments on the blog and instagram too, the best sale buy. I've linked up some similar ones below. I thought the striped shirt worked nicely with it, you can't really see the stripes unless you're up-close, but stripes are always good for pattern mixing anyway. I felt as comfortable and confident as you can be when presenting I guess.

I went with heels for that extra confidence boost, and I picked these nude patent ones as I don't remember them being the most comfortable last time I wore them. I was expecting this to be their last wear, but I was really happy in them through the day so they are staying in my wardrobe. I need to ease myself back into wearing heels with my dodgy knee! They will never be as comfortable as flats of course!


Last worn: striped shirt, blue lace pencil skirt, nude patent heelsLouis Vuitton Neverfull.

Other ways to wear: shopping with a Neverfull, casual pencil skirt outfit, hiding a second trimester baby bump with a button down shirt.







Here's what I wore to work:
Femminine office outfit pencil skirt bright accessories polka dot ruffle blouse

balenciaga black part time bag on arm GSH g21 hardware silver
Necklace: Diva red stone necklace
Top: Jeanswest 'Ricky' ruffle front top in midnight
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs suede flats in red
Bracelets: the usual plus JORD black Fieldcrest wood watch (C/O)
BagBalenciaga part time in black 2010 with SGH


I put this outfit together around the red flats. I was inspired by something Audrey posted about how to wear bright shoes, and realised I don't really wear these red flats a lot, considering how comfortable they are. I've worn the top and the shoes together before, (even with the same skirt!!) but not with a red necklace. One of Audrey's ideas was to wear a necklace and shoes that compliment or contrast a colourful top. Although I don't like the way the necklace looks with the neckline on the top, I was happy with the outfit overall. And very comfortable not wearing heels all day, hehe!


Last worn: polka dot blouse, black pencil skirtred flats, Balenciaga Part Time bag.

Other ways to wearpolka dot top with denimpencil skirt over a dressred shoes with a red dressblack bag with neutral outfits (and a giant baby bump!).








Linking up with Fab Favourites, Casual Friday, Skirtista Diaries, Fashion Friday, Mix It Up Friday, The Ultimate Rabbit Hole, Modest Monday, Let It Shine, Styled Up, What I Wore to Work today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : Youtube

53 comments:

  1. I really like both the corporate style.
    And I am amazed you have got time to do your hair as a working mum! - good sign that you and the baby are coping well I think. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haah thank you! It just means I get up SUPER early :P

      Delete
  2. I love your style
    The second pic's top is so cute
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your work outfit!the second one is my fav!

    Irene
    www.thedailylace.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how being well dressed can help with confidence. You definitely looked the part! I love the lace pencil skirt. I am sure you did a great job. That would have made me nervous too.

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I got a good reaction I think, which is all you can hope for really! :)

      Delete
  5. very nice outfits for work! following you now)
    xx

    mynameiskristina blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pencil skirt seems to be the trend now. Gosh, I've the same LV Neverfull Bag except that mine is in monogram :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore pencil skirts, they are very flattering. I really like the ruffle detail in the second outfit, great choice :)
    Glad you and baby are going well with the change, hope it stays that way xx

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not an easy change, but we can do it. Lots of challenges for life with baby, but they are always worth it in the end :)

      Delete
  8. I love the first outfit especially the details and prints of the skirt. Too pretty! :)

    Have a nice day!

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love that lace pencil skirt whenever you wear it. The bottom down shirt pairs really well with the skirt, very chic and office appropriate <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful outfit ideas! I really like the first skirt - the length is just perfect. Good luck with the nerves and public speaking - I can imagine how stressful it can be, I am exactly the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving watching your style re-evolve post baby. It's funny but I noticed after having Penny and returning to work, I felt like a different person. My older clothes didn't feel right. Not only had my body changed, but my mind had changed too.

    Let's face it casual is all of our favorite style to wear. (; But getting dressed up is so much fun! I'm loving that blue, lace skirt! It really pops your outfit. And that ruffled top on your second photo. So cute and adds so much to the plain black pencil skirt! Have an excellent weekend with Baby T!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a complete mindset change returning to work! And yes on the wardrobe, I feel I'm just struggling in my wardrobe quite a bit at the moment. Definitely feels like a big change.

      Delete
  12. I love both the outfits. I can't seem to nail skirts and tops, so dresses are my go-to on work days. I'm with you on the heels v flats. These days I go to work in flats and change into my heels when I get there! It's the best of both worlds! Thanks for linking up to the Ultimate Rabbit Hole! Happy weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dresses for work too, i was just more excited about wearing my pencil skirts again as I've missed them since the second trimester haha!

      Delete
  13. Hope the group you're working with now is a good one! It's always a bit jostling working with different people. Ah, and nothing like wearing your fave color in some fabulous clothes to boost your confidence! You look fantastic Mica :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, know this kind of feeling very well... it's like being a stranger... However who can resist your confident look and gorgeous smile!? Looking young and fresh on these pics, Mica! Glad Baby T and you are a great team now! ;-)

      JOURNAL OF STYLE

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Linda and Ira! It is very much like being a stranger, although there are a few familiar faces. Definitely a big adjustment. Thank you for your kind and supportive words! :)

      Delete
  14. I love your watch! Gosh it has been so long since I have had to dress corporate. Looking at your pics I kind of miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to! Although child care is tricky to get into here, at least there are spaces (after a bit of a wait) and that I have my old job to return to! :)

      Delete
  15. It must be tough returning to work and leaving the baby behind. I have been out of the work scene for 10 years now, I can't even imagine how it would be to return to work! Love your office look.. casual but neat and proper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very different! But it's good to be able to work and have time with baby, so many positives, it's the best of both worlds!

      Delete
  16. Pretty outfits! Love the first skirt

    Mel
    http://www.girlandthepolkadot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love both of these! Especially that first pencil skirt! Such a great length, print and color! I only own one pencil skirt, and it's white/printed (I NEVER wear white) ha ha. But I've worn it a few times and it was only $10 at a consignment store
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best consignment store finds! I wish we had consignment stores here like you have..I wouldn't shop anywhere else, ha!

      Delete
  18. you look amazing with your office look! This is the moment when I feel sad I've never been working like so sort of office worker with corporate wear.
    You second outfit is AMAZING!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thank you! I am sure there are many people who wish they never had to work in an office and wear corporate style! :)

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous outfit! Love the pencil skirt xx

    www.susannahzabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the printed skirt and that blue top is absolutely beautiful, you look gorgeous Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That blue shirt is gorgeous! I love the colour!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  22. oooh love that skirt!!!
    <3 rhea @ rheaetcetera.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving all that blue on you

    Pixelhazard |Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the skirt! Public speaking isn't my strong point either. Wearing something that you're most comfortable in definitely helps to feel a little more confident. :)
    ♥Natalie
    Yours Truly, NY

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your ASOS blue lace skirt. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both oufits are really cute and chic for the office!
    Love Lynda
    http://fashion-petite.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love both outfits - especially the red flats in the second look! I think red shoes are a great statement piece but are neutral as well since they pair with everything!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  28. What gorgeous outfits! The lacy pencil skirt is stunning :)
    www.missmollyemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving both of these! I really love that skirt in the first one and that top in the second one! I think you planned and executed both of these outfits perfectly!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your ASOS skirt looks amazing with the mint top! And I love all the red accessories in your second outfit, especially those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look gorgeous! Loving that pencil skirt and your Louis!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, public speaking. I loathe it. But have to do it.
    Sometimes I get really nervous, other times I can stand and deliver a 2 hour speech - I wish I could know why sometimes I can do it and other not. I have no advise to give :(
    However I think you look good in both looks and you look so happy and beautiful in your second outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love both outfits! I'm bookmarking this post for inspiration the next time I go shopping!

    Stephanie | With love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Giiiirl, I'm on the same boat as you on public speaking but I think I am kind of getting over it now after I've had A LOT of interviews when I was looking for a job (back when I was unemployed). LOL

    -Jan
    janmloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well you looked absolutely awesome BOTH times. I love the shirt you paired with that first skirt. I adore that skirt. Public speaking is hard. I get butterflies too. When my employer said I was going to be the trainer, I said to myself OH NOOOOOOOOOO! HaHaHa I always like to be behind the scenes. Just keep at it!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great corporate looks and great bags,too. I love how happy you always look!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Kelly! I'm usually pretty happy when I take my pictures in the morning, start of a new day and everything! :)

      Delete
  37. I think public speaking has to be one of the most common fears! Glad you made it through, and I love that you decided to wear your comfort color and power heels to help. That is a gorgeous skirt, nothing like getting a compliment to help boost you up and make you feel more at ease.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you all for your kind comments! It's nice to know I'm not alone with my public speaking fear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You look so beautiful and good job on the speaking!! Good choice in wearing blue as well since that is good for the throat chakra which in turn should help with public speaking :-)

    I hope work is treating you well and the transition is not too tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Londyn! My employer is really flexible with returning to work, which is so helpful! :)

      Delete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...