Friday 17 February 2017

Silicone Teething Necklaces and Printed Dresses

The most frequent comment on the blog or Instagram is around my accessories. Lots of love for my handbags, but at the moment the most commented on thing is whatever necklace I'm wearing.

While Baby Boy is so small, I'm doing the same thing I did with his older brother and putting aside all my regular necklaces and just wearing baby-friendly pieces. I have a little collection of teething necklaces I rotate through.

What's a teething necklace?

They are called teething or silicone necklaces as they are made out of nontoxic food safe silicone and designed for babies to chew. I've bought necklaces from Nibbly Bits (who I highly recommend) and received some from Ruby Olive in a subscription box. I'm wearing one from each brand with some printed dresses below.

Why wear a teething necklace?


  • Entertainment for baby - they are brightly coloured and perfectly positioned around your neck for playing with during feeds. Useful for both breast and bottle feeds.
  • Perfect for teething - both my boys love gnawing on the bright beads to soothe their gums.
  • Easy to clean - you can wash them in hot soapy water and as they stay on you they don't get as dirty as other toys that roll around on the floor with baby.
  • Always nearby - it can be hard digging around in a baby bag to find a toy when you have a toddler and a baby to keep hold of!
  • Safe - the ones I own have a quick release clasp so if baby gets tangled or tugs too strongly they unfasten for safety. They are also made from BPA free food-grade silicone.
  • They look good! I like being able to wear an accessory that adds something to an outfit I'm wearing and is also useful for baby. Pretty and practical!

You get a lot of unsolicited advice in motherhood and I'm wary of recommending something as what works for one baby doesn't work for all, but when anyone asks about my necklaces I always rave about how good teething necklaces are! They are a nice touch to an outfit too.

What I wore:

Nibbly Bits abacus pop teething necklace, Atmos&Here Nigella collarless shirt dress, LV speedy | AwayFromBlue

Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere | Away From The Blue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
DressAtmos&Here Nigella collarless shirt dress
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere

Why I wore it:

I was in a rush this morning as usual so wanted an easy outfit - this simple printed shirt dress was perfect. It met a lot of style challenges on Instagram too. The polka dot dress is a red, black and white print but it 'reads' like a neutral piece so I thought the pink and purple teething necklace was lovely with it. Wore this for a lot of running around with swim lessons for Toddler T, a few errands and getting lunch.

This is definitely my favourite teething necklace - I really like the colours and it does seem to go with everything! I made a #30wears collages with it as I've worn it so much.

30 wears: outfit ideas with Nibbly Bits abacus pop silicone teething necklace | AwayFromBlue Blog


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, Atmos&Here shirt dress, Havaianas, Louis Vuitton speedy Bandouliere.

Other ways to wear: shirt dress and winter layers, Louis Vuitton speedy Bandouliere and jeans.


Where to Buy Silicone Teething Necklaces:







What I wore:

Zara printed bib front tunic dress, tempete Balenciaga day bag | AwayFromBlue

Balenciaga giant hardware Day bag in 2009 tempete | AwayFromTheBlue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Necklace: Ruby Olive Softies Charlotte teething necklace
Dress: Zara printed bib front tunic dress
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagBalenciaga giant hardware Day bag in 2009 tempete

Why I wore it:

Not what I wanted to wear, but still met a couple style challenge prompts on Instagram. Unlike the shirt dress above, this shift dress is not breastfeeding friendly! I was rushing to get ready as usual and I pulled on my button up shift dress that is breastfeeding friendly. Only to find I couldn't fasten it as somewhere between me taking it off, washing it and ironing it, one of the buttons had popped off.

I'd had my mind set on wearing a dress so I was rummaging through my wardrobe looking for something else to wear. With pregnancy and breastfeeding, it's been a year and a half since I last wore this one! It was nice to get it out again, it is one of my favourite dresses. Even if I was a little stressed about going grocery shopping and getting back before Baby Boy wanted a feed!

With the blue bag and navy shift dress the colourful teething necklace was a good addition to break up the blue a little. Plus it kept Baby Boy amused until I could get home and change into something more suited for feeding him.


Last wornRay-Ban Wayfarer (above), Zara shift dress, Havaianas (above), Balenciaga tempete Day bag.

Other ways to wearZara shift dress and leather jacket, Balenciaga tempete Day bag and blush blazer.


Hopefully you found this post helpful! So many people have asked that I thought this would be useful for someone. It's not sponsored. Just wanted to share the revelation I had when I first heard of teething necklaces - what a great idea!


More Teething Necklaces:







Linking up with Flashback Fashion, The Ultimate Rabbit Hole, Shoe & Tell, Modest Monday, Let It Shine, Hello Monday, On Mondays We Link Up, On Trend.


Follow Away From the Blue on:

43 comments:

  1. I love shirt dresses for summer and the one you are wearing is perfect. Every time I visit your lovely blog I miss summer even more, cannot wait for warmer spring days so I can wear less clothes and wear my lovely dresses again. Amen! x

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves


    Yiota

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had any teething devices on me for both kids, but I can see them work nicely. My son is always on the floor, running after my daughter, nothing is as entertaining as she is. And he is almost completely on solids now, so no more feedings.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first one I got with my first son so I've added to my collection since then :) While there's less feedings now he's 1 they are still a handy toy!

      Delete
  3. these photos look lovely, i don't have a child yet but i have a God daughter this is really interesting!!
    Have a great weekend
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your goddaughter and her mum would love these!

      Delete
  4. Ooh love the print of that first shirt dress! The fit is great too.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know there was this type of thing! Teething necklaces sound like such a great idea!!
    Love the looks!
    Dora xx
    www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such a great thing when you find out about them! :)

      Delete
  6. Great dresses and just the other day I was talking to my cousin about those necklaces as she has a baby and another on the way ;) and I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to your cousin! Hope she gets some, they would make a nice gift! :)

      Delete
  7. I didn't use teething necklaces, but know quite a few friends who have and they just love them. I also love your little collage of outfits showcasing how many ways you can wear that necklace! Great for Mama's with small babes!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once you try them you love them, haha!

      Delete
  8. I have two silicone necklaces, both bought after Miss L was well past the teething stage! They are just cute to wear and she does like squashing the beads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get some really pretty grown-up ones! :)

      Delete
  9. The teething necklaces are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your necklaces are very cool - they add a nice boldness to your overall style, which tends to be fairly conservative (that's not a bad thing!). What I really notice, though, Mica, is how awesome you look in blues, pinks and purples in that collage of pictures. More colour in your wardrobe - build it around those colours for harmony and easier dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! They are definitely my colours, I should wear them more :)

      Delete
  11. I love teething necklaces - I have invested in a few. Thanks for linking up with The Ultimate Rabbit Hole xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how come I haven't heard of teething necklace, these are cute and would come in handy with babies. I like your short dresses and the necklaces your wore, you look hip dear!!!

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great idea, more people should know about them :)

      Delete
  13. I never got a teething necklace for Little Tyke, he didn't even like Sophie the Giraffe. LOL! He was on pacifier until he was 1 half, maybe that's why he never needed it? And I love both printed dresses on you!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, we didn't have dummies so maybe that's why they liked to chew :)

      Delete
  14. I love that these are so pretty and functional! Win, win!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh they do look good and the quick release clasp is a great idea. My son currently loves giving me what I call a saliva facial which involves him gnawing on my jaw line.

    Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes they are always looking for things to chew on!

      Delete
  16. Teething necklaces sound like such a smart choice. And they're pretty cute too! (Not that I have a use for them personally haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know if teething necklaces have been around for decades or if they're a newish thing because lately they're everywhere. I even have a friend making them from home too! its funny because I'd been contemplating this the other week too hahaha!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should give me the details of your friend! I'm always looking for more :)

      Delete
  18. I didn't even know teething necklaces existed, you are on sartorial mum!
    Have a Stylin' Day!
    Much Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have never known!!! It's so cute and colorful and looks great with all of your outfits :). Thanks so much for linking up with us at On Mondays We Link-Up!! Hope you have a fabulous week!

    Sarah
    Trendy & Tidy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mica, for the longest I thought they were just necklaces. I did not know they were teething necklaces for awhile. I think they're both functional & stylish. LOVE both of your dresses! That style dress looks amazing on you and the prints are fabulous.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they easily pass for normal neckalces I think!

      Delete
  21. I don't have kids so I never think about kid friendly fashion, but that's so cool that fashion and parenting tools mix with these teething necklaces! I bet no one has any idea when you wear them that they're dual purpose.
    -Kristin
    countdowntofridayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so few people know about them sadly! I think they're great! :)

      Delete
  22. They do sound like very handy accessories, I'm all for things that fulfil multiple purposes at once! And it doesn't look like a baby toy strung around your neck, if you know what I mean. Anyway, thanks for explaining further for those of us who are clueless on the matter! Love both dresses, by the way. Nothing like an easy breezy dress when you're in a hurry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's much more stylish than wearing a toy!

      Delete
  23. That's a very pretty dress, I love the Louis Vuitton Bag too!

    Edwige | http://www.hypnozglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am totally getting one of these this time! Not to mention I feel like that will keep baby hands from pulling mommy's hair all the time. (; Which, my hair, I have the strong urge to chop it again! Oh no! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I have the hair chop urge often when he grabs and pulls - these are a much nicer alternative to getting your hair tugged, haha!

      Delete
  25. Thank you all for your lovely comments! Glad I could let some of you know about the teething benefits of the necklaces I wear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...