Friday 8 January 2016

Second Trimester Evening Outfits: Jersey Maxi Dresses & Pregnancy Weight Comments

As much as I love a good singlet and shorts combo for being pregnant over summer, you can't beat the simplicity of a maxi dress for looking put-together. They are perfect for feeling dressed up enough for going out for dinner, while still being incredibly comfortable and accommodating to a baby bump.

What I wore:

Away From Blue | Second Trimester jersey maxi dress Christmas party outfit vintage Chanel bag

AwayFromTheBlue | Chanel vintage quilted lambskin flap bag
NecklaceTai gold alphabet necklace layered with thrifted pearl and heart charm long necklace
DressJeanswest 'Elodie' tie dye grey jersey maxi dress
ShoesBalenciaga studded sandals in sorbet RGGH (on sale!)
Bracelets: the usual plus House of Harlow sunburst wrap bracelet in cobalt and Disney Couture Winnie the Pooh bangle
BagChanel vintage quilted lambskin flap

Why I wore it:

This is what I wore to hubby's work Christmas party. We went out for dinner, and I had planned to wear one of my dressier non-maternity maxi dresses, but quickly found I couldn't squeeze the bump into it! Clothes that zip up are generally are not pregnancy friendly. Tried on a few and settled on this one instead. Stretchy jersey so I knew it would fit (I wore it through the third trimester last time) and I just added some glam accessories with my vintage Chanel bag.


Last worn: tie dye maxi dress, Balenciaga studded sandalsvintage Chanel flap bag.

Other ways to weartie dye maxi dress without a baby bump, Balenciaga studded sandals and a chambray dress, Chanel bag and a purple maxi dress.


 Marvellous maxi dresses under $50:






What I wore:

AwayFromBlue | Mothers En Vogue Havana Maxi Dress LV beandeau scarf as belt

AwayFromTheBlue | Accessories: Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC Hermes clic clac
Necklace: custom Cooper charm by Silhoupette layered with Chanel necklace
DressMEV Havana maxi dress C/O Zibibo
Belt: Louis Vuitton "comete" bandeau scarf
ShoesWittner 'Jasmarie' studded sandals
Bracelets: the usual plus Hermes pink clic clac
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

We had a dinner out with friends booked for a while and I was looking forward to it, but so much more after the Christmas party the night before. There were a lot of 'you're huge!', 'it must be twins!' and 'are you sure it's not twins?' comments from strangers at the party and it was getting to me a little, with all the pregnancy hormones! While my OB reassures me I'm measuring right on track, I still think I look a couple weeks bigger than at the same point in pregnancy with baby T. I know you'll always look bigger in subsequent pregnancies too as your abdominal muscles aren't as taught as they were the last time, but so many comments seem designed to put pregnant women down for the natural and normal weight gain that comes along with growing another human.

I am completely in awe and so grateful for a growing baby, and I'd happily have a belly twice the size if that means baby is growing as it should. Being pregnant is a blessing I am thankful for every day. It still stings a little to be constantly told how huge you are though, especially at a time when emotions are already a little unstable!
I don't want to appear ungrateful, I just want to highlight that there are nice ways to say things and not-so nice ways to say things and that when someone is pregnant suddenly all the weight comments start flying, with very few filters. Commenting that the bump is growing nicely or has gotten bigger since you last saw it is a lot politer than saying that pregnant women swell up like massive puffer fish, haha.

It was awesome to put on a pretty dress I knew I would fit, look good in, and laugh and joke with my friends for the evening. I am so blessed to have friends that know exactly how to compliment a pregnant lady, giant baby belly and all ;)


Last worn: purple maxi dress, Louis Vuitton bandeau, studded sandals, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC.

Other ways to wearmaxi dress in winter without a baby bumpLouis Vuitton bandeau worn in hair, studded sandals and denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC and skinny jeans.





The Asos 70% off sale includes some really pretty dresses if you're after some more maxi dress bargains.







Linking up with Fab Favourites, Flashback Friday, Fabulous Friday, Weekend Link Up, Let It Shine, Shoe and Tell, Modest Monday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

58 comments:

  1. you look lovely! i have heard such awful things towards pregnant women (are you sure there's not more in there? or you only 6 months? i thought you were 8!). awful stuff. you are handling it all with such grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes some people have no filter (and I've heard all of those comments already....sigh)

      Delete
  2. Pregnancy comments were always the worst! I loved being pregnant but was always huge and I got a lot of "i don't think you will make it", "are you sure there aren't two" and "are you sure your due date is correct". You look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why people say such mean things in pregnancy! Sorry you experienced that :(

      Delete
  3. You look so good in maxis, it makes me mad! Ha ha. I never look good in them...blegh
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you totally made the dress work for your hubby's party, by adding a bit of glam with that great bag :)
    Oh, and I always try to keep my comments on a positive note with pregnant women as I can only imagine all the changes that you go through and some people's comments don't make it better.
    Sometimes I dont even comment on the pregnancy as I've had friends being asked how far along they were on their pregnancy and.. they were just fat :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it perfectly Lorena - some people's comments don't help make a tricky time any easier! I'm so sorry to hear people said that to your friends, how horrible! :(

      Delete
  5. People can be super insensitive to pregnant women. Mica you look amazing! You may feel like you look "bigger," but I see a happy, glowing woman about to welcome another life into this world. I think you handle all the unsettling words very well. I too LOVED being pregnant. I loved the growing belly, the stretch marks, all of it. (: It was so empowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Kiki! it's a wonderful time, and incredible watching the belly grow :) Just don't get why people can be so insensitive!

      Delete
  6. You look lovely and radiant! How rude of those people! Maxi dresses are the best for being pulled together, even if you're not preggers! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.prefertobedemure.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I love a maxi dress - pregnant or not, haha!

      Delete
  7. Well I think you look fantastic! Why do people say things like that to pregnant women. I swear, when I was pregnant people were both the nicest and the meanest to me than I've ever experienced. It was nice to always have the door held, etc. but boy did the unsolicited advice and commentary flow! People!! Why can't they just say, "you look great!"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha exactly Shea! So much unwelcome and unasked for "advice" and comments. It's nice they try to say something about it, but sticking with the tried and true compliments is a wise idea!

      Delete
  8. Aw I'm sorry about those pregnancy comments - they would get to me too honestly! But keep your chin up and know that your baby is growing healthily. That's what matters! :)
    Love these two maxi dresses you're rocking Mica

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Baby is growing and healthy and that's all that matters. I don't care how big I or my belly may get!

      Delete
  9. I think you look fabulous and you are styling your body in great ways with the maxi dresses!

    michellespaige.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the maxis, I'm sure they're so comfy :) I hope you hear nicer comments from now on!
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you Kiki! I hope I do too or my hormones will get the better of me and one day I'm going to cry!

      Delete
  11. Micah I love that tie dye maxi on you! And what a great way to dress it up than with a Chanel bag! Gorgeous!!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you're still dressing pretty much how you were before you were pregnant. All those maxi dresses are still in high rotation I see! I'm so sorry all those people have been saying such rude things to you. People need to think about what they say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep got to love a maxi dress that works well - pregnant or not! It would be nice if people stopped for a moment to think about what they're saying!

      Delete
  13. Lovely outfits, I bet the maxi dress feel nice with no elastic around the waist :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those maxi dresses! Especially the second one with the ruffles. You look great!

    Sarah
    http://mybowsandclothes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like if I'm ever pregnant I would just wear maxi dresses all the time! They look cute and comfortable! I don't understand why people feel they need to make weight comments to pregnant ladies. I would totally lose my temper and be like "Well you look a lot bigger since the last time I saw you too!" Anyway, you look great! Don't let those other comments get you down!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that would be a great comeback! I will need to remember to use that. Too often I'm focused on trying not to show how shocked I am with what they say! So many weight comments, when they mean to comment on just the bump alone!

      Delete
  16. Aw, some people can be just so inconsiderate with their comments! Sorry to hear that. :( I think you look absolutely beautiful and radiant. :) Both outfits are gorgeous, but I'm especially in love with the first one, you look like a Hollywood star! <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both of these looks. I think your bump is adorable, and no you're not huge, you have a little bundle of joy growing inside of your belly I think that's beautiful. Don't let negative comments bother you!

    www.jerseygirltexanheart.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try not to let them get to me, just with hormones and all making me weepy...haha.

      Delete
  18. You look so pretty in both of these dresses! Honestly I don't see why people (mostly strangers) feel the need to say comments like that. Besides, you look gorgeous! I especially like the first one, although the second dress is definitely more suitable for a night with friends :)

    Sam | http://mybeautycloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I think strangers lose the filter when faced with a pregnant woman, haha!

      Delete
  19. I love the pink maxi dress, it looks gorgeous and that Chanel bag, omg! xx

    www.adaliascloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always liked how you style maxi dresses. You make so many cute outfits out of yours with different shoes and accessories. The pink one here looks especially amazing on you. Have a wonderful weekend dear. XOXO, Elif
    http://theboxqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry you had to experience that Mica. Some people don't have any tact or manners. I find that in society period. It's really sad. Don't let them get to you. You're going to have a fine baby! That's all that matters. People nowadays always have something to say.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Kim, sadly. They always have something to say and they don't take a moment to think about how it comes across! 'Your bump is huge' is very different from 'you're huge!' and they don't realise that at all. It's a small "problem" in the bigger picture, but it can still hurt sometimes (especially when hormones are going nuts!)

      Delete
  22. Both of these maxi dresses and bags are great! That vintage Chanel is amazing. I don't remember seeing it before. What a special piece.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear it too often, want to keep it as pristine as possible! It's great for going out to dinner though :)

      Delete
  23. You look lovely and blooming :)
    Mischelle
    http://www.nowthatschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's what I'm dreading about being pregnant, people commenting on my size! Pregnancy suits you well, while you're stomach is sure growing, you don't look to have put on weight anywhere else!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't get why it happens so much :( I hope you don't have to deal with it when you're pregnant!

      Delete
  25. I think you look beautiful. Often people don't realise that how they say something can get you down but it doesn't come from a bad place. However it can appear insensitive and I can imagine getting the same reaction from lots of people can be very tiring.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I don't think they realise how rude they are being sometimes! Hearing it over and over gets very upsetting though.

      Delete
  26. You look the textbook image of a happy, healthy pregnancy with an excellent, perfectly sized bump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha YES! Why can't people just say this?! Would make pregnancy much easier!

      Delete
  27. Hooray for maxi anything! Hahaha! They're so much easier in the heat, you throw it on and looked polished. Even if you don't make much of an effort like myself lol. I had no idea about peeps being so "obvious" or rude like that! Personally I'm awkward around kids and pregnant girls and I always make extra effort to not be weird around them lol. I've never said anything about how big anyone is, I think that's plain rude, regardless of pregnancy or not! I can't imagine how confronting it must be and feel like to, especially with the hormones! People can be so oblivious sometimes to things like that and don't realise what they're saying. It wouldn't come from a negative place though, you could take comfort in that.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think genuinely they have no idea how rude they are being most of the time. It's the ones who persist that are the strangest, and most upsetting to be honest! I agree, I don't think weight comments are nice in any context - pregnant or not!

      Delete
  28. Firstly, you look amazing. Children are a blessing anyway, so wishing you all the best with your pregnancy. When my sister was pregnant people kept telling her the same, it's cruel and ignorant, but that's how some people are.
    Reto Winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad your sister experienced that too! Some people are just so rude to pregnant ladies, during what is an amazing (but also emotional!) time!

      Delete
  29. So gorgeous! Swooning over your chanel bag!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look great, don't mind the comments!
    Greetings from Germany.

    Salo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you to everyone who read the post and took the time to add your thoughts! It's sad so many pregnant women have to deal with comments like this, but good to know we are never alone in it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sometimes humanity surprises me! You are gorgeous and ignore the daft comments! The bump is getting bigger and you look even more prettier!!!

    Tatyana x
    www.lafotka.com (prev. Secret little Stars)

    ReplyDelete
  33. That tie-dye maxi, I love it so much. You can't go wrong with it, any time you wear it. Happy Monday hun!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow you're really glamming up, go you. It was winter the majority of the time I was pregnant so I just covered up under giant jumpers and coats. I'm sure when people made comments about you being huge they were just talking about your bump and not your weight. You look perfectly healthy and not in the slightest bit large from where I'm sitting :)

    www.myfroley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think winter pregnancy dressing would be trickier trying to get lots of layers that fit the bump! :)

      I'm sure people did just mean the bump was big, but "you're huge!" is very different from "your bump is huge!" haha.

      Delete
  35. Honestly, whatever happened to basic manners?! It infuriates me that by the sheer virtue of being pregnant, a woman's body (and that of her unborn child) somehow becomes common property. I hate when people ambush baby bumps without asking, or make comments they'd never dream of making to a non-pregnant person. It annoys me SO much and I've never even been pregnant! I can imagine I'll be a treat to anyone who dares to be so rude to me (or I'll just keep bursting into tears the whole time - it's a toss up).

    Anyway, glad you've got your head up high. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah with hormones I never react the same way twice - it just depends on how I'm feeling at the time really!

      Definitely agree that manners would make a difference. There's a nice way and a not-so-nice way to say things, a little politeness would make the choice clear!

      Delete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...