Wednesday 6 May 2015

Corporate Style: Zara Jersey Blazer and Pencil Skirts with Printed Tops

Another two outfits showing what I wore to work. Black pencil skirts, printed tops and a blazer is a great office wear formula.  Each outfit had a little twist though to make it just a bit different from the normal.

It is just starting to get a little chilly in the mornings, so I needed a jacket. I eneded up wearing my Zara jersey blazer both days! I am feeling completely justified in buying another version of this in a different colour when it popped up on ebay in my size!

What I wore:

Away From Blue printed tee dress worn as top for office wear pencil skirt on top with blazer

Away From Blue blog gold bracelet stack Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere
Jacket: thrifted Zara black blazer
Dress: Atmos & Here Willow printed tee dress
SkirtJeanswest black ponte pencil skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs metallic mouse flats
Bracelets: the usual plus beaded neon and gold and black and gold bracelet set
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere (with Coach feather bag charm)

Why I wore it:

Again, this was a double style challenge outfit. I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the 'classic with a twist' prompt for fox pack style dare, although it took a little bit of thinking for the posh lady indigo 'metallica' idea. I was going to go with a sparkly statement necklace, but figured it would be too busy with the printed top, so when with gold accessories instead.

If you've been reading my blog for a while you might recognise the print of the top. It's not actually a top, it's that tee dress I wore over and over when I first bought it. I've worn pencil skirts over dresses before, and I've worn this dress as a tee with a skirt over it casually too. It's a wonderful way for me to get some more wear out of a dress, especially one I love as much as this. I really liked this outfit, probably because it let me wear one of my favourite casual dresses to the office!


Last worn: Zara blazer, Atmos&Here botanic print dress, black pencil skirtmetallic mouse flats, LV speedy bandouliere.

Other ways to wear: jersey blazer with a dress, tee dress with Converse, pencil skirt with a tiny second trimester baby bumpmouse flats and a maxi skirt, speedy bandouliere with denim shorts.









What I wore:

LV bandeau as head scarf in office wear striped tank blazer pencil skirt heels bal city

Balenciaga classic RH sorbet city bag 2010 pink officewear
Jacket: thrifted Zara black blazer
Headscarf: Louis Vuitton "comete" bandeau scarf
NecklaceTai gold alphabet necklace
TankJeanswest 'Hannah' print tank in paradise pink multi
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
Shoes: Wittner 'Bloomy' black heels
Bracelets: the usual plus JORD black Fieldcrest wood watch (C/O)
BagBalenciaga RH classic city in 2010 sorbet

Why I wore it:

Just realised I haven't worn this bag in over a year! When I last wore it, I was in the third trimester!

This was also a double style challenge outfit. It also took forever to come together, despite how simple it is. printed top, pencil skirt, blazer and heels for the office, easy! But I had a heard time deciding on the right top and jacket for this look, as I'd added in the headscarf for the 'mad hatters' theme for posh lady indigo style challenge. I don't have a hat I could wear to the office, just my big sunhat for the beach, so I picked the scarf instead. Because the scarf has a colourful print I couldn't pick a nice top that worked with it. I spent about half an hour the night before - and ended up getting rid of a few tops as I had a try on session through my wardrobe - before I settled on this brushstroke stripe tank. When I wore it the next day I wasn't sure if I should use the headscarf as I had planned for the 'this has a story' prompt for the fox pack style dare challenge, or the fact that the outfit took so long to put together!

I got to work not feeling the best in this outfit. I thought it looked okay, but nothing special. I much preferred the previous outfit (above). But everyone at work loved this. I kept getting compliments all day on it! I had people telling me I looked great, asking me where I got the scarf, that I should wear the scarf more often...one of the most stylish ladies in the office asked if I had bought the top and scarf together as they looked like a set! My friends and I will often compliment each other's outfit choices, but I'm not so used to the input from others. I also had the fun of explaining what an instagram style challenge was to one of my male colleagues, who now asks me each time he seems me what theme I'm dressing for.

It was really nice and unexpected. I ended up feeling a lot more confident than I had that morning when I walked out the door! Reminded me of how just taking a few seconds to give someone a sincere compliment can make their day. I've always been a big believer in 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all' like my mum taught me. It's only recently I've realised that I should be making more of an effort to be vocal with my appreciation when there are nice things I could say! Random acts of kindness don't need to be big things, try giving someone an honest compliment to make them smile. :)


Last worn: Louis Vuitton bandeau, black Zara blazer (above), brushstroke stripe tank, pencil skirt, ankle strap heelsBalenciaga sorbet city bag.

Other ways to wear: LV bandeau worn as a belt over a pregnant belly, blazer with jeans and a tee, brushtroke stripe tank and denim, ankle strap heels in winterBalenciaga city with a maxi dress.





Linking up with Whatcha Wearing Wednesday, Style Me Weekly, Because Shanna Said So, What I Wore, Style Me Wednesday, Oh Hey Girl, Get Your Pretty On, Trendy Wednesday, Spotlight Weekly, Throwback Thursday, Thursday Fashion Files, What I Wore to Work, Thursday ThreadsFun Fashion Friday, Feature Friday today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

47 comments:

  1. Love your outfit! LV <3
    xoxo Lynda
    http://fashion-petite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these takes on corporate wear! The bursts of colour.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Gorgeous business looks with a pop of color! Really nice for summer!!! So chic, Mica! ;)

      xxx
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
  3. I love that you created two suit-like looks. I fake suits like this, all the time. That floral top is so so pretty. And sincere compliments are the best!!

    Enjoy your Autumn, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need another blazer I think. Well what I mean is I want one... Gah! They're perfect for autumn and early spring here to sharpen an outfit and then you don't need a coat. I've also been looking for plain blouses, sleeveless, a bit floaty but with a little detail of some kind... Can I find one anywhere? Nope. I've tried every UK high street store website I can think of. Something to wear under said blazer with a pencil skirt - just like this in fact :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you mean - I am always on the look out for perfect tops like that. They are hard to find, but always good when you do get them! :)

      Delete
  5. Love the printed top in both outfits, the colors are gorgeous! Great styles for the office, thanks for sharing!

    Prudence
    www.prudencepetitestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first outfit is so cute, I mean so is the second, but I love the first one!

    XO Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for florals, so of course the floral printed top is my favorite!! Fabulous as always!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute work looks!! I would be happy to work in a corporate office in these :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both of these! The handbag in the first outfit is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pop of color in both looks! You do look very work ready but both looks are very chic! You always look amazing girl, don't forget that :)

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely take on corporate attire. I love your skirt in the first outfit, and adore that you added colour with the accessories as well. Blazers are always my go to pieces and probably the most worn along with scares in my wardrobe. Take care,
    Madison
    Artful Statements

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great suit assemble - I like how in both cases you gave it your own personal touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. jealous of your awesome purses!
    http://www.caseyscollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been working the courage up to do the dress as a top or ever the dress as a skirt thing, and have never followed through with it. Soon, I promise. And I'll be documenting such a day because I love how people just make a dress function three ways. It's genius.

    I think you got so many compliments because you can totally rock the heck out of a head scarf. So jealous, because I think they are so adorable. I love that you worked it into your office attire. Very bold and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun thing to try - if you have the right skirt and the right dress it can look really good! :) Hope you get a chance to try it :)

      Thank you for the kind words about the headscarf - I really want to wear it more often! :)

      Delete
  15. That's a great suit Mica! When you pair a neutral with a pop of color, it's a beautiful thing! I believe the same. But some people care NOT! LOL It's horrible how mean some people are nowadays. You look great in both pics.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so sad, but I know exactly what you mean! We could all be a little kinder!

      Delete
  16. you look amazing my dear! those are really lovely pictures of you :) both outfits are perfect

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great outfits!! So pretty XO
    #LINKUPWITHLISA @ http://www.beauty101bylisa.com/2015/05/linkupwithlisa-15-diy-skirt-hack.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love wearing dresses at tops! The pattern is lovely :)

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the first outfit, you look so put together and chic! The second outfit is beautiful too :)

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how you styled the blazer both days. I love the floral top from the first day and the scarf tied around your hair the second day. That's a look I'm going to have to try soon :) And I'm 100% with you, making a small nice comment or receiving one can really brighten up the day :)


    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really can! It's nice when someone takes a moment to give you honest feedback :)

      Delete
  21. What great professional looks!! So chic and put together!

    Angie from reasons to dress, fashion, travel and life as a mom in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love how you bring color in every outfit! beautiful simple and so chic!
    Irene
    www.thedailylace.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both of these looks are perfection! My favorite though, is the second outfit! Love the scarf and bright shirt! Thanks for linking up with Thursday Fashion Files!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh, I absolutely love the bags! You look gorgeous Mica!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the colour pop, the pink is my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Power dressing with a touch of attitude! I like the headwrap, Mica.. so chic and modern! I think these looks are powerful, confident yet approachable and that's a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree with your coworkers. I think both outfits look fantastic on you! That dress/top in the first outfit is beautiful! I love the colors and floral pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love how you repurposed a dress into a top! Genius way to stretch your closet!

    Feel free to join my linkup if you'd like :)
    http://valerybrennan.com/2015/05/thursday-threads-spring-pastels/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have explained Instagram style challenges to a few people here at work too and encouraged them to participate, even if they aren't on Insta! This post has also reminded me (unfortunately) of the black Zara blazer I didn't buy at an op shop recently #regrets and that I need a pink handbag in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have so much blazer regret from op-shops! A mustard one haunts me....I should have realised it was meant to be when i saw it for the second time haha!

      the style challenges are great, and I agree even if you don't have instagram it's nice to look at your wardrobe differently :)

      Delete
  30. I do have fun with IG style challenges. I love your dress as top - that print is gorgeous and I can see why you want to keep wearing it.

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a great chic corporate look! Love it!

    May x • The MaydenBloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are doing great in the IG challenges. Dress as a top is a great idea and make more use of one item of clothing.

    ~ xo Sheree
    http://poshclassymom.com
    IG: @poshclassymom

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey girl! Thanks for Linking up for Style Me Weekly! I love your outfit!!
    Make sure you link back to us in your blog post if you want to be picked as a featured blogger! I'd love to show you off (but I need to see that you've put a link to Style Me Weekly in your blog post)!! You are fabulous!!

    xoxo
    Lauren
    Dressing Dallas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren - the link is in my post - in the last paragraph :)

      Delete
  34. Thanks! I wish I could remember where I stole this idea from as it's really useful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the vibrant colors paired the black suit. It creates a vibrant yet perfectly work appropriate outfit.
    Red Reticule | Red Reticule Collection

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a nice way to wear your scarf! I love that you're wearing a casual dress as a top (I've done that many times too). So sorry I haven't been around much lately - life has been consuming me.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...