Wednesday 26 August 2015

Maxi Skirts, Ballet Flats and Clutch Bags

Since I injured myself on the way to work the other week, outfit options have been limited. I have to wear my old knee brace, which is a big bulky compression bandage. It helps with the pain, but it definitely doesn't fit under my skinny jeans! It doesn't work nicely with tights either.
Even though we are nearing the end of winter, it's still not quite warm enough for bare legs. So when I've had no choice and had to get out of the house I've been wearing my maxi skirts. A lot.

I'm grateful for the fact that I have quite a few maxi skirts in my wardrobe, but I apologise in advance if things start looking a little repetitive around here!

What I wore:

tweed jacket printed tank colour block maxi skirt casual night out with friends outfit

Balenciaga flat handle clutch SGH in 2010 Sang G21
Jacket: Jeanswest Cassandra jacquard jacket
NecklaceTai gold alphabet necklace
Tank: Sass and Bide "For Easy Reference" tank
SkirtAsos colour block maxi skirt in red
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs two tone flats in blush and black
Bracelets: the usual
BagBalenciaga flat clutch SGH in 2010 Sang

Why I wore it:

We had a long over-due dinner and poker night with friends, so I was determined to attend despite my injured knee. As I couldn't wear skinny jeans as I had planned because of the knee brace, I figured a maxi skirt would be a good choice to keep me warm. I added the jacket too, but I probably could have done with a scarf as well, it was a bit cold on the way home!

It's been over 8 months since I last wore this tank! I didn't even get an outfit photo with it on the day I wore it last as baby T decided to fling his pumpkin all over my skirt before I had the chance to stand in front of the camera. I really, really like this tank and every time I wear it I wonder why it goes so long between wears. Probably because I just have way too many tops ;)


Last worn: tweed jacket, printed tank, colour block maxi skirt, cap toe flats, Balenciaga sang clutch.

Other ways to weartweed jacket in the office, printed tank and pink accessories, maxi skirt in summer, two tone flats and print mixing, Balenciaga clutch for a Christmas party.


Maxi skirts under $30:







What I wore:

Long black cardigan jersey maxi skirt cobalt blue blouson tee

Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC with python embossed leather in aquamarine
Jacket: Cotton On black knit wrap cardigan
NecklaceHappiness Boutique turquoise and coral pendant necklace (C/O)
Top: thrifted Dotti blue tee
SkirtJeanswest plain jersey black maxi skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC with python embossed leather in aquamarine

Why I wore it:

Had to work from home and go to the doctor's to get an opinion on how bad my knee injury was, so comfortable cosy maxi skirt outfit with flats again. Picked this cobalt top as it's been a while since its last wear and it makes a good backdrop for my Happiness Boutique necklace. You can read my review of the necklace the previous time I wore it here.

This outfit seemed a little dark with all the black - despite the bright top and bag. I think a colourful cardigan would have looked better.


Last worn: black cardigan, cobalt blue tee, black jersey maxi skirt, black ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC.


Other ways to wearblack cardigan and a printed skirt, blue top and print mixing, maxi skirt in summer, ballet flats and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC with shorts.


Linking up with Pleated Poppy, What I Wore, The Wednesday Pants, Style Me Wednesday, Oh Hey Girl, Trendy Wednesday, Brilliant Blog Posts, Fashion Files, Throwback Thursday, Fun Fashion Friday, Weekend Linkup, Friday's Fashions, Fabulous Friday today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

44 comments:

  1. I love maxiskirts! And your red one is so pretty!
    xoxo Lynda
    http://fashion-petite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon doll x
    I love that first skirt what great colors! You are so good at pairing items together, plus with all your fall looks it is so getting my inspired for when our fall finally rolls around! :)

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful maxi skirts. I like the one with the red stripes. Gorgeous.

    XoXo
    Valentina | DAILY SUIT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mica! I love to see color on you, looking so chic on the first pic! Beautiful black and cobalt blue styling. I have to admit, you've managed it very well to hide your knee, Mica! Great job!

      Ira / JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
  4. i love that skirt and you styled it so well, you look absolutely pretty in this look.

    www.stylenbeautylounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about your knee! Is it serious? You are still looking stylish! I always loved that first maxi. It has a fun 70s vibe which is so in right now and looks good with your red clutch. Glad you enjoyed a fun dinner with friends.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It's just tissue damage so it should heal with physio, which is good :) Will just take a while to heal up.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your injury Mica. I've had to wear a brace before and it was nothing nice. I hope you heal quickly my friend. Maxi skirts definitely provide great coverage. and look fashionable too. Glad you could get along with your regularly scheduled activities.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Hope you healed up quickly! I'm missing my skinny jeans for sure, but the pain is manageable with treatment :)

      Delete
  7. Looove the blazer in the first look! And the print of the tank too!
    Stupid knee!! They're the worst, aren't they? Ha ha. Luckily the brace I wear is thin, but I still have to wear it OVER jeans if I wear it.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think wearing it over jeans would be good so I could wear my skinny jeans, haha! The one I have is designed to heat up the muscle so it has to be worn against the skin :( Knees are the worst when they all go wrong, definitely! I feel your pain haha!

      Delete
  8. Wow love the red bag and maxi skirts! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first outfit is so beautiful, and it's autumn inspiring as well. The jacket is beautiful. Hope you have a good rest of the week Mica. <3
    Bohemian Romance

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfits, you look lovely. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    Anika | www.anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your knee! I hope it feels better soon! I'm loving the jacket in your first outfit!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful looks!

    Mahshid مهشید

    www.thankstofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mica,
    I prayed your knees feels better soon, it was such an inconvenience to have it injured but we can still look on the bright side that it's going to be okay soon!
    Anyway, you still as creative as you are then when matching up these outfits to provide you some comfort and look fashionably despite having injured knees.

    Get well, soon, Mica!

    xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jhem! Hopefully I won't be in pain too much longer.

      Delete
  14. Oh no! I hope you feel better very soon! An injured mommy trying to chase down a babe is no good! I think you really took this bump in the road and made it work though. You are the queen of maxis so I didn't expect either of these looks to be less than 100%.

    Totally wear that top more often! It's such a nice color and I could see it paired with so many colors!

    Sometimes I've fallen victim to the too much black attire. I think you managed to counteract it the best way you could with the bag and top though. Cobalt is surprisingly hard to pair with other shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes you're right I do have the advantage of loving maxi skirts! :) I just like to have a little variation available when deciding what to wear :P It's heating up a little as we move into spring so that will help, I'll be able to go barelegged!

      Delete
  15. Hope you recover from your knee injury soon. It's horrible being in pain. Great idea to wear maxi skirts over the compression bandage. The first skirt is gorgeous and I love the way you've styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your leg gets better soon! It’s great you have a few maxi skirts. I think I have.. zero lol & I’m sure we won’t get sick of them on you because you always style them so well! Get better soon! x

    TFM BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do have quite a few maxi skirts...haha!

      Delete
  17. Oh no, I hope your knee gets better! I think you're rocking the maxi skirts, I especially love the colors in that first look--so rich and bright and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaaw, sorry to hear about your injury Mica. Hope it's healing up soon, sending you some good vibes.

    I like maxi skirts, just have the hardest time finding good ones for myself. Love both the tops, the bags. I have too many tops as well! But I've been even more ruthless about tossing out stuff since I came back home. Last but not least, I like the wavy hair style in the first picture.

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxi skirts are tricky for me sometimes too because I'm short - helps to know a good tailor! Hopefully you can find some nice ones :)

      Delete
  19. Hope your injury gets better soon :( You look great though xx

    Tatyana x
    Secret little Stars
    www.secretlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry about your knee and hope you have a speedy recovery! I love both of these maxi outfits! Love the colors of the first one! Perfect print mixing!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, I am loving the red on red look. Sorry to hear about your knee, I wish you a speedy recovery.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the red maxi skirt. The colour blocking is so cute and vibrant! Perfect fashion look for the summer

    https://jenniferjmo.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about your injury - I recently had to get stitches on my leg so I know the feeling of having your wardrobe limited. I hope you feel better!
    Great idea wearing maxi length bottoms - what a great and chic idea! Love the first look a lot! The colors are so pretty!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no hope your leg is okay! No fun when your wardrobe options are limited by something like that :(

      Delete
  24. That's so smart to hide the brace under maxi skirts! I never would have guessed since you wear them regularly anyway! I like that you wore all the rainbow colors this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I'm wearing them a few times a week usually! :P

      I have been trying to be more adventurous with colour lately :)

      Delete
  25. You disguised the brace well Mica! Hope you recover soon though, it's no fun being injured :/

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Check out my YouTube channel too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, no! I hope your knee heals quickly. I always enjoy seeing how you style your maxi dresses and skirts - gives me lots of inspiration! Have a wonderful weekend, Micah!
    Thanks for linking up with Fabulous Friday!
    Jennie - A Pocketful of Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for linking up!! :)
    Jaymie
    www.jaymieashcraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bummer about your injury and hope that you get better soon! Love the color block maxi dress!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Mica,

    I LOVE that striped red maxi! Absolutely stunning! Once again serious handbag envy here. Bron x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you all for your kind comments - and get well soon wishes for my knee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those maxis have sure come in handy !
    I was at a wedding about 3 weeks ago and could not understand why someone wearing a brace for an injury would want to wear a white short jumper to a wedding…. my first choice would have been to cover it up under a gown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I try cover it up as much as possible, it's not the prettiest thing! I'm hoping to be out of it soon! :)

      Delete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...