Wednesday 21 October 2015

Frocktober Unplanned and Planned Dress Outfits: Casual Tee and LBD For The Office

I'm currently participating in the Frocktober style challenge to raise funds and awareness for Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation. While I'm behind with blogging what I wore, you can follow along on instagram where I've been using the #31Days31DifferentDresses tag for my own challenge.

If you'd like to make a donation it would be greatly appreciated! 1 woman dies every hour from ovarian cancer, there is no early detection test. Your donation helps fund research.

What I wore:

Away From Blue | Casual public holiday sick toddler summer outfit tee dress shorts RM mini MAC

Away From Blue |  Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC
Necklace: Lovisa blue leaf long necklace
DressChoies monochrome stripe shift dress (C/O)
Shorts: Cotton On blue denim shorts (gifted)
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs (on sale!)
Bracelets: the usual
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC

Why I wore it:

This was not the dress I had planned to wear for the day! After we got home from lunch on Sunday, toddler T seemed a little more upset than usual, and his symptoms ramped up quite badly. He has a little viral bug and was not having a good time. We ended up getting the doctor out to check up on him. Instead of going out and enjoying the beautiful weather for a public holiday Monday, I stayed home and enjoyed cuddles with a little guy who just wanted to be held all the time.

I wasn't really sure what to wear after our plans had to be cancelled. I did contemplate not even getting changed out of my pyjamas...but knew I had the challenge and the fundraising goal to hit. So I hunted for a dress I could wear for a quick stop by the IGA (thank goodness for it being open on a public holiday!) to grab some essentials for dealing with sickness, and spending the rest of the day at home curled up on the sofa with an unwell toddler.

My sister had recently given me these shorts which she no longer wanted, so I figured they would be perfect to go under the too-short tee dress I've worn in the past as a tunic. Comfort-wise this turned out to be a great outfit, and I would happily wear this again! I'd been thinking this dress wouldn't be worn in the 31 days because it's so short, and that I'd end up getting rid of it at the end of the challenge. I'm happy I gave it a go and discovered a great outfit, and changed my mind about it leaving my wardrobe.


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarers, striped tee dress, Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC. First time I've worn the shorts as they were just given to me.

Other ways to wearstriped tee dress worn as a tunic over jeans, Havaianas and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC with plaid and denim.


More striped tee dresses under $50:




Red cardigans under $50:



Shopbop has a great range of red cardigans and tee dresses too!



What I wore:

Away From Blue | LBD fit and flare office wear red cardi and flats

AwayFromTheBlue | Balenciaga black part time bag 2010 giant silver SGH G21 hardware
NecklaceDogeared silver wishbone necklace
Dress:  Jeanswest tucked ponte black dress
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs suede flats in red
Bracelets: the usual plus Roie Designs black leather Swarovski beaded wrap bracelet
BagBalenciaga part time in black 2010 with SGH

Why I wore it:

In contrast to the outfit above, this was a little more planned! I knew I wanted to wear this fit and flare dress to the office. I've just worn it recently, but I like it so much I don't mind repeating it again so soon.

The red cardigan was something I added in the morning to keep me warm on the commute to work and in the cold air con of the office. I loved the way it looked in the mirror, not so impressed with it in the photos though. I did really like the colour coordination with the red flats and cardigan, a colleague complimented it too. Makes it look like the red cardi was planned and not a quick thing thrown on at the last minute.


Last worn: red cardigan, black fit and flare dress, red suede flats, Balenciaga part time bag.

Other ways to wearred cardigan and a maxi skirt, black fit and flare dress and pink accessories, red suede flats and a pencil skirt, Balenciaga part time bag and a floral cami.


Linking up with What I Wore, Wednesday Linkup, Style Me Weekly, Oh Hey Girl, Thursday Fashion Files, Throwback Thursday.


This post was created in partnership with Shopbop. Occasionally, Away From The Blue blog may receive vendor or brand sponsorships for mentioning their products or services. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

48 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm really loving the second outfit especially - red looks stunning on you! <3

    Kay
    http://shoesandglitter.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fabulous in dress dear
    I love it

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the red and black combo, it's a perfect outfit to wear for work and you are covered for all weather too!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the office air conditioning, haha!

      Delete
  4. Mica you look so pretty in that simple black and red look :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic in both outfits! Love your bags and your doggie too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first casual outfit is super cute, while the second look is so elegant and also my favorite. I always love the combination of a LBD with a red cardigan. That fit+flare LBD is truly so classy, too.

    Have a great rest of the week, Mica! =))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand why you don't love the red cardi, I wanted to compliment it!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne! I just never seem to like the way it looks in photos when I leave it loose, haha!

      Delete
  8. Loving these looks! The black dress with the blazer is very nice :) You look so chic!

    ARedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful !
    j'adore ton sac !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like black and red combo, it is beatiful. Also red cardigan looks good in the photos :) xx

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the red and black ensemble!

    Hugs from the Philippines!
    - Seyra
    www.pavementsarerunways.com
    Instagram: @_srico

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi beauty
    you look pretty in both.
    my favporite the last one.
    Visit me anytime

    kisses
    Jackelin Cc
    MAKE YOUR OWN FASHION

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome fundraiser to be a part of! I love how cute and casual the first outfit is but I also love the second one! I think the red cardi works well!

    xx Chelsea
    www.organizedmessblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great fundraiser to participate in - fun and the money all goes to a great cause!

      Delete
  14. Great cause, cute look.
    http://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it funny some of the things these sites call a "dress"?! I love how you styled it with shorts. Those red flats in your second look are so cute, and the Balenciaga bag is one of my favorites of yours. Sorry toddler T is sick. :(

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, much too short for me to wear it as a dress! Even though I'm petite!

      Thankfully toddler T is feeling much better :)

      Delete
  16. Both dresses are beautiful, both the planned and unplanned one! Good for you for sticking it out and wearing a dress, even when dealing with a sick kiddo. I wouldn't had such a hard time not jumping into those PJs!

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the fundraising I would have broken the challenge, but I want to stick to the goals and earn as much as I can for charity, so I found something that thankfully worked!

      Delete
  17. I hope T is feeling better. Sick little ones are the worst. And on a fashion note - I really love that long red cardi!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, he's feeling much better!

      Delete
  18. Both looks are lovely! My fave is the black dress and red cardigan! <3

    coralbuttons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mica,
    You look so cute on the first outfit.. And as usual, my most favorite and been stalking you for bags hihi..

    Xoxo,
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh no! I hope Toddler T feels better very soon! Poor little guy. Despite the chaos, you still looked wonderful as always. (: I love the simple red and black work number! A look I rock a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kiki. It was a little rough but he was feeling much better within a few days :)

      Delete
  21. I hope your little one is better now.
    Pairing shorts with a short dress is a great way to make it wearable, I have to remember that now come summer.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, he is feeling better now!

      Delete
  22. You look gorgeous in red!
    -Adi xxo
    www.fancycorrectitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Mica! Both looks are absolutely my faves! I'm a huge fan of everything with stripes and this outfit looks so refreshing on you. Love the color combo of red and black, beautiful and elegant chic!

    Ira / JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  24. The tunic looks so comfy in the first outfit. The second one is stunning! The red and black are such a bold combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so comfortable! Definitely staying in my wardrobe :)

      Delete
  25. I hope your son feels better soon Mica. Sorry to hear that. I LOVE both outfits! Those stripes look fabulous on you and your sister is the sweetest. LOVE that dress and cardigan. Really looks great!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. He is feeling much better now, it didn't last long thankfully.

      Delete
  26. Hope baby T is feeling better! I love the simple LBD - you can wear it as much as you want and not really worry, as is the benefit of the classic LBD.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lydia! He's feeling much better :)

      And yes a classic LBD is always a great option! :)

      Delete
  27. Hope everyone is feeling better soon! Good call on the tee dress, I might do the same over summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! All better, it didn't stick around for more than a couple of days thankfully!

      Delete
  28. oh i love striped tops

    http://carrieslifestyle.com
    Posts online about Rio, Amalfi, Amsterdam...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great way to restyle the short dress as a tunic! Hope your little one is feeling better.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Would love for you to stop by & join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was great to come up with another way to wear it! :)

      Delete
  30. You should definitely keep that first dress--that outfit is super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you to everyone who left a thoughtful comment and/or good wishes for baby T. Thankfully he was feeling better after a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute dresses! I'm always drawn to stripes but the black and red pairing is my favorite! Glad to hear T is feeling better!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...