Monday 15 June 2015

June Dress Week Style Challenge - Dresses, Tall Boots and Leather Jackets

As I mentioned my previous post, I'm participating in the June Dress Week style challenge on instagram. I'm a little behind with blogging the outfits, but I'm posting as quickly as I can (and skipping over some banked up Fox in Flats Style Dare outfit posts) so that I can blog together with Kiki from According to Kiki. We are participating in the challenge together on instagram. You can follow along with us, @kikimincks and @awayfromblue.

I skipped the style challenge for 'fan favourite' as baby T was unwell and wearing a dress was not the ideal outfit for a day at home with a sick baby. But you can check out Kiki's take on the look here! Below is what I wore for the 'boho beauty' and 'nautical nods' challenges.

What I wore:

blue boho summer dress layered up for winter purple scarf leather jacket tall boots

louis vuitton damier ebene speedy bandouliere 30
Jacket: Jeanswest black leather moto jacket
Scarf: Sportsgirl animal scarf in violet
DressJeanswest 'Chelsea' printed dress
BootsAsos Cleo leather boots in black
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere

Why I wore it:

This outfit was for the style challenge 'boho beauty'. It's winter here in Australia, although it's summer for the Americans who came up with the challenge, so I'm wearing a few extra layers...I tried to winterise my summer boho dress but really don't think I did the dress justice layered up like this. I preferred the last time I layered up this dress, for autumn. I think if I'd worn ankle boots, and maybe a different print-free bag I would have felt better about this outfit. Not too confident driving in my ankle boots as they have high heels though, so that's why I went with these.

This leather jacket has always been worn less than my others as it's a looser fit, and it works better with something fitted. I think a little bit of an outfit fail all round, although the idea seemed good in my head and in the mirror, I really didn't like it after looking at the photos. See how Kiki interpreted the theme better.

This outfit did made me smile though when I looked back through the blog to find the last time I'd worn the scarf. It was when I was 7 months pregnant, and just last week we celebrated baby T's first birthday! Time is flying by.


Last worn: black leather jacket, purple leopard print scarf (with a third trimester baby belly!), boho printed dress, tall black leather bootsLV speedy bandouliere.

Other ways to wear: leather jacket to the office, leopard print scarf with a maxi dress, boho dress in summer, black leather boots with a grey dress in winter, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere bag for the office.







What I wore:


Belt: Supre red braided belt
BootsAsos Cleo leather boots in black

Why I wore it:

I wore this outfit for the 'nautical nods' theme. I thought the navy and the stripes worked well with the red accessories to be a little nod to nautical style! I'd actually had an office outfit planned with a different dress, but baby T was unwell so I wasn't able to make it into work. It was still going to be a striped dress with red accessories though, that's the closest any of my dresses get to a nautical theme! See Kiki do nautical here.

It was nice wearing this dress again - one of my favourites from last winter, it's cosy and comfortable. As baby T was feeling a little better, I had a bit more time to get organised and ready for our doctor's visit, so I enjoyed being able to dress up and meet the challenge. The only thing I didn't like about this outfit was the placement of the belt - I think I should have worn it a little higher, it hits me at an odd spot in the photos. The dress is a thick fabric too so doesn't really slouch over the top of the belt as much as I imagined. Maybe would have been better without the belt entirely, but overall I liked this outfit - comfortable and cosy.


Last worn: printed leather jacket, red Alexander McQueen skull scarfstriped tee dress, red belt, boots(above), LV speedy bandouliere (above).



Linking up with Styled Up, Shoe and Tell, Style to Inspire, Mix It Monday, More Pieces of Me, On the Daily Express, Real Mom Style, Bless Your Heart, Reasons to Dress, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday, The Wednesday Pants, Wardrobe Wednesday, Style Sessions, Because Shanna Said So, Whatcha Wearing Wednesday today.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

51 comments:

  1. Aww Mica i love both of your looks here! You definitely look like a rockstar! Very edgy and chic specially the first one!

    sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! Leather jackets do have a bit of a rockstar vibe! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your edgy chic look in this outfit
    Challenge sounds great
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous look Mica! You always get IT right! I love the red McQueen and the leather jacket, what a closet staple! You are giving us some early inspiration for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these are so cute. I really LOVE the first one though. Such a fun pattern mix!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mica I don't think your first look is a fail at all! But...you have to love what you wear, not me, so go with your gut. I just have an affinity for all moto jackets and both of yours are fab here so it's hard not to think you look great. :)
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! Sometimes an outfit just doesn't 'read' right in pictures, just means I'll try something different next time, as like you said I want to love what I wear :)

      Delete
  6. You did tremendous justice to both the boho and nautical looks here! Lovely photos! You've got the best scarf and handbag collection! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the top one, such a cute way to winterize the boho vibe!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great outfits Mica! Both looks are fab but i agree with Lauren.. I am loving the first one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your baby is feeling much better :)

    Again both wonderful looks, loving the look the added leather jacket gives to the second look :)

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Poor BabyT!!
      Adore how you played with accessoires and prints of both looks, Mica! The combo of your first outfit looks edgy and definitely boho from my point of view! I've always loved the color combo of black, red and blue! You styled those colors very well together! Well done!
      Thank you for your amazing words on my blog, dear! <3

      xxx Ira
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
  10. Well, Mica I think you rocked this challenge- I can never pull off boots with dresses, you certainly can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena! I think sometimes temperatures just necessitate the boots and dress combination haha!

      Delete
  11. That leather jacket looks great with both dresses Mica! You have the prettiest scarf collection.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. they're both great but i especially love the purple scarf!

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh! I would love to see the first dress without a scarf or jacket. The pattern is so pretty!

    xo,
    Michelle Paige
    www.michellespaige.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can see it on the jeanswest site as I linked, or I've linked to it in the 'other ways to wear' section when I wore it in summer without any other layers.

      Delete
  14. both dresses are very lovely and I'm really amazed by how well you layered them. Despite the fact that I'm a summer person, I must admit that because of the layering Autumn is a much more interesting season to dress.

    Layering can be so much fun...and in Summer we can't really go all the way with layering.

    I really like the pattern on the first dress and paired with boots and biker jacket, it gets this rock appeal that I really like. The bag is quite nice too...and the scarf is a fantastic touch of colour to this look.

    The second dress is so lovely...I just love stripes....and great accessories in this combo too! red scarf and red belt match so perfectly!!!!!

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ivana! We don't get a lot of chances to layer here in Brisbane and I tend to wear jeans most of the time in the cooler months, so I'm stretching my layering skills with this challenge! :)

      Delete
  15. I like the outfit you wore for nautical nods! That dress suits you wonderfully :) I also REALLY love how you styled your hair for the boho beauty look. Your make-up also looks very much on point there, haha! I hope baby T is all better now too :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki! He is back to his normal happy self now, good to see! :)

      And I had a bit of a giggle - I'm not wearing makeup in either of these pics! Unless you count BB cream :)

      Delete
  16. I love the first outfit with the purple scarf. I am kind of jealous too that you're able to wear a jacket in your current weather because it's starting to warm up where I am!

    -Jan
    janmloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cooling down here! Winter is taking hold :)

      Delete
  17. Mica, I love your daily scarf outift post! It is making me kind of missing winter (ok, I lied, I am loving sandals summer hahaha). No seriously speaking though, the leather jacket and a colourful scarf combo is so chic! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Yun! I'm the same, I enjoy winter and scarves but I miss summer, and summer I enjoy sandals but still miss scarves....

      Delete
  18. Makes sense that' it's winter in Australia for you :) Love the layers and the speedy!

    xoxo, Christina

    Stray Birds and Lavender

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute outfit! Love the pattern mixing. I need to practice that more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh Mica! I forget that you are beginning to bundle up while I am enjoying shorts finally. We have had divine weather lately; nice blue skies and then an evening thunderstorm to cool us off.
    I'm so glad you love doggies and sparkly things. You know that sounds like it could be a blog name. "Doggies and Sparkly Things" lol ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two super looks, but I particularly love that first boho dress, are those tassels I spy?! I have a thing for tassels. I think you did well to interperet a challenge in a more wintry way. Thanks for taking part in the linkup today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of these looks are so chic! My favorite is the first one! Love the pattern mix and the colors look great on you!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like the first outfit! The dress looks really cute :)

    Sarah | sarahanne14.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the boots! The scarves look great too!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry to heat Baby T has not been feeling well. :( Hope all is well now.
    Such fun challenge looks! The boho look is a great one for you - loving all of the layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is feeling much better now, back to his usual happy self! :)

      Delete
  26. I adore that first dress!! You look so great!! :)

    Hope your nugget feels better soon!!


    Amber
    All the Cute
    Latest Post: Grey Knit Romper & Converse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is feeling much better now :)

      Delete
  27. Oooh, loving the leather jacket combined with the red scarf! Very edgy and chic :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Check out my YouTube channel too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both of these are very cute, but I especially like the nautical one. The leather jacket adds edge to the outfit. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful as always, love how you styled both looks.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. love the way you mixed the prints in the first outfit!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are owning both looks - I've always thought of boho as being a summer look but you have winterised it well! Jealous you can still get away with bare legs up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be doing it for much longer - even all bundled up on top! Starting to get really chilly!

      Delete
  32. Love that red scarf! Both looks are really cute! Hope Baby T feels better.
    Thanks for linking up at Whatcha Wearing Wednesday!
    l,
    Vicky
    www.themummychronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is feeling much better! :)

      Delete
  33. I thought I had a great handbag collection! Love the pop of red with the scarf too!

    Thanks for linking up with Turning Heads Tuesdsay
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you all for your kind comments - and good wishes for baby T. He is feeling much better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...